SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem removing duplicate reads? (samtools and picard) cbl Bioinformatics 19 09-17-2015 12:01 PM
example for using Picard removing duplicate reads? fabrice Bioinformatics 9 10-18-2013 03:32 AM
duplicate reads in Illumina short, single end reads of RNAseq data inbarpl Bioinformatics 4 05-22-2012 09:36 AM
Removing duplicate reads for tophat? hong_sunwoo RNA Sequencing 2 10-09-2010 01:46 AM
Removing duplicate reads from multigig .csfasta Bueller_007 Bioinformatics 7 06-26-2010 04:07 PM

Old 07-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
greigite

Default removing duplicate PE reads from unmappable data

This topic has been discussed a fair bit on seqanswers but I haven't found the answer to this exact question, so am throwing it out there again. I have some 100 bp PE metagenomic data sets from rather low complexity samples. Analysis of duplication levels in read 1 and read 2 separately shows rather high levels of duplication (25-50%). I'm interested in identifying true PCR duplicates through analysis of read 1 and read 2 together-- i.e. true duplicates should be identical at both ends of the molecule. This data is from a community without reference genomes so mapping then using samtools rmdup is not an option. Is there an existing tool for non-map based duplicate removal of PE reads or do I need to cobble something together? I think something like the following could work:

1. separate out the first xx bp of read 1 and read 2, then merge using fastq-joiner in galaxy or the like
2. remove exact duplicates using fastx-collapser in galaxy fastx toolkit
3. extract list of non-duplicated reads from output of fastx-collapser
4. pull these reads out of the original fastq files for read 1 and read 2
greigite is offline   Reply With Quote