No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiSeq | Updating the Windows7 Embedded System

Hi,

I'm having endless issues updating/patching the Windows7 Embedded system on the MiSeq. Constantly getting errors from Windows Update about it not being able to update, and of course, being M$, the error codes are next to useless.

Is there anyway around this? I just don't like the idea of an un-patched system on the Internet running M$ Windows.

Regards,
    Andor

In my opinion it is unwise to install software patches which have not been tested for compatibility by Illumina. We do not patch any instrument computers with anything other than patches/upgrades provided by the instrument vendor.

Your MiSeq and all networked laboratory computers should be protected by a firewall with very stringent access rules.

Comment

You should leave your MiSeq as is. Isolating instrument computers from open internet with a strong firewall (preferably via a defined/separate VLAN) is the best option for securing instrument computers.

Comment

Okay, that works in a "closed" facility. What happens if we have an "open" facility and any user can insert a USB drive? Do I just cross my fingers?

I guess I'd like to know how to prevent usb spawned malware.

Comment

You could open it up and remove the internal USB cable that passes through to the motherboard for the USB port on the right hand side of the instrument. I forget how the USB port on the back of the MiSeq is plumbed, but that one might be part of the motherboard (and not a cable).

Comment

@misterc: Problem is a lot of times users (or even the facility techs) may create samplesheets using IEM elsewhere and then bring those to the machine at the time of run-start. People may also want to off-load data using USB external drives (if networking is not available).

@cement_head: User education generally works well. You should put up signs (if users can walk in any hour of the day) about using good USB hygiene and absolute need to ensure a clean environment. If you can't trust certain users to follow this basic protocol then you would need to be a "bad cop" and make sure they don't access the sequencer unattended or first scan their USB's on a separate machine before they are allowed to plug those into sequencer.

Comment

770-490-3265 we have one that is being retired. A illumina MiSeq DOM 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                @misterc: Problem is a lot of times users (or even the facility techs) may create samplesheets using IEM elsewhere and then bring those to the machine at the time of run-start. People may also want to off-load data using USB external drives (if networking is not available).

@cement_head: User education generally works well. You should put up signs (if users can walk in any hour of the day) about using good USB hygiene and absolute need to ensure a clean environment. If you can't trust certain users to follow this basic protocol then you would need to be a "bad cop" and make sure they don't access the sequencer unattended or first scan their USB's on a separate machine before they are allowed to plug those into sequencer.
                Yep, you are correct - almost always USER ERROR is what we fight (constantly).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                • seqadmin
                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                0 responses