Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Index 1 read (i7) - Low Intensity & Low Quality??

Good day,

Can anyone advise me on the following regarding a recent amplicon sequencing run on the Illumina MiSeq:

What would be the cause for a relatively low intensity and low quality Index 1 read (i7) compared to Read 1, Index 2 (i5) and Read 2?

The nucleotides at each position within the indices used were balanced.

The run was quite under-clustered.

Also, other than potential dilution problem, what are other reasons for obtaining a significantly higher alignment of Phix compared to what was originally spiked?

Thanks!

Did you use custom sequencing primers for any of the reads?

Comment

What if this person did use custom sequencing primers? How would that effect the run and data quality?

Comment

I think what Luc was considering is that if the custom sequencing primer didn't anneal properly/as efficiently as the standard Illumina primer, you would have fewer clusters primed and thus fewer clusters producing signal intensity.

If the custom primers were spiked into the Illumina primer mix, then that could also explain the higher percentage of PhiX aligning, as the PhiX clusters primed normally while the amplicon clusters did not. This is applicable to read 2 and read 1.

A low quality in the index 1 read could be explained by PhiX as well. If 30% of your clusters are PhiX, that 30% will produce no signal in index 1 and reduce your %Q30 for that read accordingly.

Index 2 can't be explained by this to my knowledge, as that primer cannot be custom.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
        • seqadmin
          The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
          by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
          02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
        0 responses