SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frozen flow cell Meliss a General 4 03-06-2019 05:42 AM
what specific sequence is used for annealing to flow cell? ein_io Illumina/Solexa 3 12-13-2011 07:56 AM
Flow cell modifications ? JYC Illumina/Solexa 2 04-08-2011 10:52 AM
Flow cell/channel terminology Calico Helicos / Direct Genomics 7 01-26-2010 07:19 AM
sequences on the flow cell suludana Illumina/Solexa 0 07-22-2008 07:51 AM

Old 05-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Yepler

Default Loading a flow cell with ssDNA (one strand only)

Hi, all-

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with loading just one strand of a ds duplex onto a flow cell. In this case, it would be the antisense (3'--5') strand, so that elongation would occur during the first round of amplification on the flow cell. Would this work and form productive clusters?

I'd be happy with comments about the logic of the idea, even if you haven't tried it before.

Thanks much!

Deb
Yepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
GW_OK

Don't we already load flowcells with ssDNA? With the 5 minute NaOH incubation right before diluting to XpM with hyb buffer 1?
GW_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Yepler

Yep, we do! But it's normally denatured dsDNA and has both strands present. I want to know if I can load only one of those two strands and still get productive clusters - for simplicity's sake, assume that I have one strand biotin-labeled and captured on an avidin bead, and I denature off only the other strand.

Logically, I think it will work, but I'd like to hear other opinions (my pool of sequencing people to talk to live is pretty limited!).

ty-
Deb
Old 05-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
kmcarr

Deb,

I'm having trouble understanding why you would need (want) to do this. You refer to one strand being antisense, which only makes sense in the context of the coding sequence for a gene. If your intention is, for example, directional sequencing of mRNA that is accomplished by directional library preparation protocols. If the library was not prepared in a directional manner it won't matter which strand you originally load into the flow cell.
kmcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
HESmith

Why do you doubt that it would work? As long as the end sequences are correct, either strand is capable of annealing to the flowcell.
HESmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
Yepler

Thanks for the responses...I contacted someone from Illumina who agreed that it should be fine (although she was nervous about degradation).