Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcriptome assembler versus genome assemblers

In these pair of posts, I discussed de Bruijn graphs and explained why short read genome assemblers (Velvet, etc.) do not work well for transcriptome assemblers.

I presume the above topics are piece of cake for most of you, but those hapless few, who don't work on algorithms, may find them useful.

Please feel free to comment here, there or anywhere
    http://homolog.us

I found this post extremely useful! Thanks!

Comment

Great posts! Looking forward to the next one already.

Comment

Thank you folks !!

Comment

Great articles! I really enjoy reading them. They're really useful!

Comment

Originally posted by kopi-o View Post
            Great posts! Looking forward to the next one already.
            Thank you all for encouragement !!

Next installment on the de Bruijin graph series here -

Please let me know, if anything is unclear or incorrect.

Comment

multiple K-mers could be the answer??

great post here, thanks for sharing.

I agree with you, transcriptome assembly using de brujin graph (like velvet, soapdenova) cannot be treated same like genomic assembly. As stated in this paper, (Surget-groba, Y., & Montoya-burgos, J. I. (2010). Optimization of de novo transcriptome assembly from next-generation sequencing data. Genome Research, 1432-1440. doi: 10.1101/gr.103846.109.2008.) higher K-mers is targeted to highly express gene and lower Kmers will better assemble for lowly express gene. Therefore using 1 Kmer size will not cover the whole transcriptome. In this paper they suggested multiple K-mers to tackle both higly express and lowly express genes. Personally I prefer Subtractive Multiple-k rather than the Additive Multiple-k method

And the new Oases, as an extension from velvet, can handles the uneven coverage of contigs due to variation in expression levels of the transcripts in the sample.

I believed with this development, short-read assembler program is still relevant for transcriptome assembly

kamal

Comment

Originally posted by masterpiece View Post
                great post here, thanks for sharing.

I agree with you, transcriptome assembly using de brujin graph (like velvet, soapdenova) cannot be treated same like genomic assembly. As stated in this paper, (Surget-groba, Y., & Montoya-burgos, J. I. (2010). Optimization of de novo transcriptome assembly from next-generation sequencing data. Genome Research, 1432-1440. doi: 10.1101/gr.103846.109.2008.) higher K-mers is targeted to highly express gene and lower Kmers will better assemble for lowly express gene. Therefore using 1 Kmer size will not cover the whole transcriptome. In this paper they suggested multiple K-mers to tackle both higly express and lowly express genes. Personally I prefer Subtractive Multiple-k rather than the Additive Multiple-k method

And the new Oases, as an extension from velvet, can handles the uneven coverage of contigs due to variation in expression levels of the transcripts in the sample.

I believed with this development, short-read assembler program is still relevant for transcriptome assembly

kamal
                Thank you for your comment. I agree with what you said.

My article was written for introductory users to explain the difference between genome assemblers (Velvet) and transcriptome assemblers (Oases).............just to make sure people use right tools for right data. You are already an expert in that regard.

Comment

count read

I agree with the last both thread about transcriptom analyses. We also used Oases with different decreasing k-mer to analyse RNAseq and the results seems good (to verify it we get the complete genome and we have mapped the contigs on it, 95% sucessful) The problem is how to count the reads used to construct the contigs... because it's not clear it gives different number by k-mer but no number at the end. Is-it possible to obatin the count reads used with oases?

Thank you for your answer, vb

Comment

The article only applies to assemblers which make assumptions about coverage, like Velvet. Many assemblers which are more accurate than Velvet don't make such assumptions so as to avoid issues such as GC bias, or PCR duplicates.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses