SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
small rna sequencing sample quality control entomology RNA Sequencing 2 01-16-2012 03:59 PM
Starting cancer transcriptome analysis of 454 sequencing data ketan_bnf Bioinformatics 1 09-11-2011 11:35 PM
RNA-Seq: The Drosophila melanogaster transcriptome by paired-end RNA sequencing. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 12-24-2010 02:13 AM
RNA-Seq: De Novo Transcriptome Sequencing in Anopheles funestus Using Illumina RNA-Se Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 12-15-2010 02:00 AM
Total RNA quality for 454 nathanjd Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 05-24-2010 06:19 AM

Old 03-25-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
rtei

Default RNA sample quality for 454 transcriptome sequencing

Hello,

we would like to prepare a cDNA Rapid Library from PolyA+ RNA but quality assesment (Agilent Bioanalyzer - attached pictures) showed most likely rRNA contamination. I was told it can interfere following RNA fragmentation so I should try to remove more rRNA from the sample or I can try if the fragmentation is succesful or not. Has anyone any experience with rRNA residue in the sample???

Thank you very much!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gel240310.pdf (27.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: pdf overladdersample1.pdf (66.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: pdf overladdersample2.pdf (64.4 KB, 29 views)
rtei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
AKroxy

I don't know if it can interfere, but you probably don't want the majority of your sequences to be from rRNA. If you have enough RNA, you can run it over Dynabeads mRNA purification kit one or two times to get rid of more of the rRNA.
AKroxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
pmiguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtei View Post
Hello,

we would like to prepare a cDNA Rapid Library from PolyA+ RNA but quality assesment (Agilent Bioanalyzer - attached pictures) showed most likely rRNA contamination. I was told it can interfere following RNA fragmentation so I should try to remove more rRNA from the sample or I can try if the fragmentation is succesful or not. Has anyone any experience with rRNA residue in the sample???

Thank you very much!!!
Yes, we always use 2 cycles of polyA+ purification to deplete total RNA of rRNA. With just 1 cycle our samples are generally still 10-30% rRNA.

The downside is that it takes a long time and the yields are terrible! 0.5%, if we are lucky. More often 0.1% is more often what we get.

I am wondering if we should do 1 cycle of riboMinus followed by 1 cycle of polyA+ because I am worried about about the amount of 3' bias caused by 2 rounds of polyA+ isolation with such poor yields.

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
shurjo

Looking at your BioAnalyzer traces, are you sure it is rRNA contamination and not degradation? Are you using a fresh tissue source?

Also, I routinely use two rounds of DynaBeads purification and while there is some 3' bias for longer genes (>6Kb, approx), it is a tradeoff I would happily make over lost readspace because of rRNA. I believe from talking to people who use Ribominus+Dynabeads that the yield is really low, but if you have enough total RNA, it may work for you.
shurjo is offline   Reply With Quote