SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creating a mRNA GTF file from fasta for HTSeq ? CEPHSeq Bioinformatics 11 06-18-2015 09:44 AM
creating GFF file from refernce fasta dena.dinesh RNA Sequencing 1 10-30-2014 04:29 PM
Creating a gtf file for the database I mapped against lanner Bioinformatics 1 05-06-2014 12:18 AM
How do I go from a fasta and a chromosome to gtf/gff file? Brown_lineage Bioinformatics 8 12-07-2012 06:21 AM
BWA not creating rBWT file ramiro2k Bioinformatics 2 03-23-2012 02:27 AM

Old 05-19-2015, 02:48 AM   #1
PolPittacus7

Default Creating Transcriptome File for Use With BWA from GTF file and genomic fasta file

I downloaded the Mus musculus mm10 pre-built tophat indices from the Tophat website (http://ccb.jhu.edu/software/tophat/igenomes.shtml). This package comes with a .gtf file that specifies junction boundaries and start/stop codon positions. It also contains a .fa file for the mouse genome.

I would like to produce a .fa file that contains all of the mouse RNA transcript sequences from the above two files. Is there any software that does this? I have read of de novo transcriptome assembly software like Trinity, but I do not think it would be ideal for what I would like to do here. I merely need some kind of script/tool to generate the annotated mRNA (and ideally, rRNA, mtRNA, and ncRNA) sequences that will match the annotation in the aforementioned two files (.gtf and .fa from the tophat pre-built index).

Thank you kindly for your time and help. Please let me know if there is any further information you would like to help evaluate my query. If I do find an appropriate tool for this problem, I plan on writing a script to extract and splice necessary sequences from the genomic .fa file, and will upload this script for others to use (but would rather avoid re-inventing the wheel if possible!).
PolPittacus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:18 AM   #2
jp.

Hi
Any solution of your problem ?
I am confused with too
jp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:39 AM   #3
westerman
Rick Westerman

Whenever I heard the word "gtf" or "vcf" then my mind goes to BEDtools. And indeed one of the programs is "fastaFromBed" which "Creates FASTA sequences based on intervals in a BED/GFF/VCF file." GTF is just a GFF in disguise.
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
jp.

Thanks westerman, however, I like to ask you something different but relative.
After running Denovo Trinity reports Trinity.fasta and then I did blast got blastx.outfmt6. I also have TransDecoder output i.e. Trinity.fasta.transdecoder.cds , Trinity.fasta.transdecoder.gff3 , Trinity.fasta.transdecoder.mRNA , Trinity.fasta.transdecoder.pep

I am confused how to add real gene names in to Trinity.fasta So that Trinity numbered genes (TR1...n) will be replaced by real gene names which are available in Trinity.fasta.transdecoder.gff3 or blastx.outfmt6 ?
Any idea ?
jp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
westerman
Rick Westerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp. View Post
Thanks westerman, however, I like to ask you something different but relative.
After running Denovo Trinity reports Trinity.fasta and then I did blast got blastx.outfmt6. I also have TransDecoder output i.e. Trinity.fasta.transdecoder.cds , Trinity.fasta.transdecoder.gff3 , Trinity.fasta.transdecoder.mRNA , Trinity.fasta.transdecoder.pep

I am confused how to add real gene names in to Trinity.fasta So that Trinity numbered genes (TR1...n) will be replaced by real gene names which are available in Trinity.fasta.transdecoder.gff3 or blastx.outfmt6 ?
Any idea ?
No idea. This is processing step that I do not use thus am unable to give advice.
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote