SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > De novo discovery

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Large discrepancy between de novo assembly versus actual biological genome size NYGen De novo discovery 5 01-21-2017 11:19 AM
Compare de-novo transcriptome assembly to genome reference guided assembly IdoBar Bioinformatics 1 04-04-2014 12:28 AM
Inquiry: minimum length of reads for referece-based assembly or de novo assembly sunfuhui Bioinformatics 1 10-04-2013 09:28 AM
orf or CDS predicted from de-novo assembled transcrits neurospora RNA Sequencing 0 09-16-2012 06:39 PM

Old 06-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
NYGen

Default Why is predicted best k for de novo assembly so different from actual best k?

Greetings everyone,

Iím doing my first genome assembly for a non-model plant species, and I need some insight about best kmer lengths for DBG-based assembly. My NGS data is a full lane of Illumina HiSeq V4 2x125 with a single library of insert size 350. Using kmer-counting methods, such as Jellyfish, my predicted best value k has ranged from 93-101 due to the large number of reads and their relatively-long length for HiSeq reads.

However, I have found all of my highest-quality assemblies at kmer-lengths <40, with my highest N50 and CEGs-mapped occurring at lengths 29 and 33, respectively. Does anyone know why Iím seeing such a large difference between predicted best k and actual best k? Given that itís a discrepancy of more than 50bp, I feel like thereís got to be a common explanation that googling simply hasnít turned up. I predict itís related to heterogeneity in the reads, but Iím unable to find much elaboration on the effect of heterogeneous reads, so thanks for any insights!
NYGen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
de novo assembly, genome assembly, kmer