Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing genotyping chips to deep sequencing?

Hi all,

I'm looking for any literature that compares SNP genotyping chips (such as infinium or illumina genotyping platforms) to 'deep sequencing' datasets such as WGS or RNASeq (and the subsequent SNP calling using SAMTools or similar).

I've seen a few human genome papers where the authors also include a SNP chip analysis (probably because it's so cheap compared to WGS), but I'm not sure of any specific studies or meta-studies.

Thanks for any pointers,
    Dan.
    Homepage: Dan Bolser
    MetaBase the database of biological databases.

Some genome centers (e.g. WashU) use the SNP chip info as a quality check, sample identity check & also to determine if they have gone deep enough.

I found this reference that did a direct comparison; I believe there are more
    Next-generation massively parallel sequencing technologies provide ultrahigh throughput at two orders of magnitude lower unit cost than capillary Sanger sequencing technology. One of the key applications of next-generation sequencing is studying genetic variation between individuals using whole-geno …

Comment

Thanks very much for this link Kris. I'm looking to build a collection ;-)

All the best,
      Dan.

Comment

You're welcome, but it's Lys-Glu-Ile-Thr-His not Lys-Arg-Ile-Ser :-)

Comment

We did so in the U87MG Decoded paper. Ran Illumina 1M-Duo and compared to our SNP calls from WGS on the SOLiD.

I think for these early studies it made sense, but we've reached the point where SNV calls from WGS are more accurate than the error rate of the SNP chips themselves. After that point, all we end up doing is saying, "Well, we did better than a SNP chip," which is kind of silly.
          Mendelian Disorder: A blogshare of random useful information for general public consumption. [Blog]
          Breakway: A Program to Identify Structural Variations in Genomic Data [Website] [Forum Post]
          Projects: U87MG whole genome sequence [Website] [Paper]

Comment

Right, but there are different costs and requirements associated, so I'd like to know about the general characteristics so that the right choice can be made for the right study.

Thanks for the link, I'm happy to pull in all such papers ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by krobison View Post
              You're welcome, but it's Lys-Glu-Ile-Thr-His not Lys-Arg-Ile-Ser :-)
              Met-Ile-Asn-Thr-Glu-Arg!

I think I called you Kris a while back and for some reason it stuck.

Cheers,

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses