This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purpose of Java in Bioinformatics

Does java contribute anything to Bioinformatics, other than a cheap complicit labor pool? I know in certain business applications the cheapness and complicity is the penultimate bottom line, but in bioinformatics, I don't see what java brings to the party.

Most assembly viewers these days seem to be written in Java using Picard for SAM/BAM support.

As a bonus, they are cross platform and so can be used on Windows as well as Linux or Mac OS X. Unlike most Bioinformatics applications I would say, where Windows is poorly supported.

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
      cross platform
      Last I checked Java couldn't run under SGE. So no not really.

Comment

In addition to the assembly viewers, there are also tools written to use Hadoop that are in Java. The SeqWiki has over 60 programs currently listed for Java covering a wide range of topics.

I haven't seen any Android bioinformatic apps yet, but that is also a Java world.

Comment

Originally posted by rskr View Post
          Last I checked Java couldn't run under SGE.
          Then it's about time you checked again.

Comment

Disbelief. I know lets everybody program in a super slow language, with poorly designed code(see the first post), then buy a cluster to run it. When it could have been done on a single box, but hey at least if you run your java bork so no one else can show you up with a real language, because you have installed hadoop on it, and well nothing uses hadoop.

Comment

rskr: Was this a serious question? Seems pretty clearly a troll, similar to your last thread on 36 base reads.

I love a good snarky post now and again, but trolling to insult java in general is non-productive.

Comment

This guy is clearly a troll.

From the perspective of a biologist, I've found some pretty useful tools written in Java so Java has clearly contributed a lot to bioinformatics. My thanks to the people that made them. Perhaps rskr is jealous he didn't write them. Maybe he should read this book:

and get back to us with a full report.
                --------------
                Ethan

Comment

I use Java a lot, coded a lot of bioinformatics and NGS tools. I prefer it to C and scripting languages because of
                  1) easy memory management (overhead is not much of a problem)
                  2) easy development process (very good IDEs)
                  3) and it's considerably fast (if you e.g. re-code some R-workflows in Java you will reach speed of light..)
                  4) easy setup of threads/multithreading which is a major plus in NGS analyses
                  5) cross platform (Windows, LINUX, OSX without any problem)

Comment

It's easy to use and fast to develop. Bioinformaticians usually are not hardcore programmers.

Comment

and it's OOP compared to basic scripting languages

Comment

How is someone supposed to debunk "cross-platform" or java is faster, to complete novices?

The problem with Java is that there is no way to port it. So there are features which are not cross platform especially GUI features, which are not part of the cross-platform contract with Microsoft(which let its contract expire). Since java is cross-platform the language has no porting constructs, so if you need a feature which isn't implemented exactly the same on more than one system(anti-aliasing is an example) there is no way to maintain the code effectively.

C and C++ are faster, by up to 20times in neutral language comparison bench marks. Besides that if you know how indirection works, you know java can't be very fast, unless you write everything in a giant static main with local non-object variables, which well no one really does that do they?

Anyway, untrained Java programmers appear to work for cheap, but the question is do they bring anything to the table. Cross platform has been debunked.

Comment

You do seem to be trolling now.

The first example I gave was Java viewers for SAM/BAM, which are indeed cross platform. Like any language which is cross platform, you have to test under each OS and do some things differently. Java is no different to Perl or Python or C etc in this regard.

Comment

Dude, calm down. I think everyone knows java is not the ideal language to use for creating software. I personally am not a fan of it from a programmer's perspective. But like you said, a cheap labor pool and fast development cycle is actually a very good reason for using it.

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
                              You do seem to be trolling now.

The first example I gave was Java viewers for SAM/BAM, which are indeed cross platform. Like any language which is cross platform, you have to test under each OS and do some things differently. Java is no different to Perl or Python or C etc in this regard.
                              Can you explain to me what you mean by cross-platform? I was under the impression that C was not considered cross-platform, even though there are probably more C compilers for more platforms than anything, and language supported porting constructs.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses