Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNP calling

Reference-based SNP callers work by comparing the sequence aligned to the reference. Are there any tools/piplines that will call SNPs between aligned files? In my case I am interested in calling SNPs between the genotypes I am aligning and not in SNPs present between by genotypes and the reference.

SNP calling between samples....in a polyploid

I should also add that I am trying to call SNPs either without a reference genome or with the diploid version of a polyploid I am working with.

Comment

Partek Flow calls SNPs either against a reference or between your samples.

Comment

Surely there is something free from academic labs that will do this

Comment

If it makes you feel better, Partek's SNP caller is also about 50x faster than mpileup which is one of the main reasons I went with them. I have not compared it to GATK yet. While it is commercial, it is not expensive and comes with technical support.

Comment

Is there a way to call SNPs between samples with samtools mpileup or GATK?

Comment

Cortex is designed to call variants between samples, without a reference.

Papers:
              1. De novo assembly and genotyping of variants using colored de Bruijn graphs.
              Z Iqbal, M Caccamo, I Turner, P Flicek, G McVean, Nature Genetics (2012)

2. High-throughput microbial population genomics using the Cortex variation assembler. Z Iqbal, I Turner, G McVean, Bioinformatics 2012

Software freely available here:

Manual here

It can take BAM or fast files as input. Hope that helps!

Zam

Comment

SNP calling between samples....in a polyploid

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check out Cortex. Do you think it can handle polyploids?

Comment

Yes, it can call biallelic sites in polyploids. The genotyping models only handle haploid and diploid, so you will have to do discovery only, but the VCF will report coverage on both alleles, so you can post-process to interpret.

Comment

Anyone know how I can do snp calling using a draft reference which is a series of contigs, example head below. I can do it using BWA-MEM and mpileup with a complete reference but using this draft I get almost no data. I think theres an issue with alingment to the draft reference as it is not a series of continuous data, maybe if i use some program to put them all together and fill in the gaps with N's or do the contigs just need renaming? Little lost how could use this draft genome, may just end up comparing against a more distant but complete genome.

>contig:unspecified:411:1:710:1 contig 411
                    GTTAGTGCCTACTGCCTCTTTTTCATCTGCCTGAATATCTCTCATCTTTCGTTATCCTTA
                    ATTGTCCTCATATCTTTCGATTATTTGTCAGGTTTTTGAGTATTAGGTGCTTATTCTTTA
                    AAAAATACACAGAAAGTTTATCGAAATGCTGCATTTAATCGTATTGTATATGAATACGCA
                    TTCTCTAACTGGTAAATGTATTGTACGAAAGAATTGTGTCTCAATGAAGTAAGTGGTTAT
                    CTCTGGTGTTAAGTTGGTGAGTATTTGTTGAATATTGATATTAATACCAGCAAATTGGAA
                    GTGATATTGAGTAAATGTTGGGATAGTAGTAAAGAGAAAGAACTTCGGTGTATAAGCGAA
                    AACTTCATTTAACCGTTAACAATACGATGGAAATAAGCACATGAAAATAATCTCATTTCC
                    TAGAATAGAGTCAGATTACTTGCTATTCTTAATTGTTGTTTCAAATGAAGTAGTACTAAC
                    TACTAACTACAGTAGAAATTGCAATATAATTTCCACTCTCCCTTGTGGAATTGGTAATTT
                    TGTGAGGGTAATATTAATATGCTTTGCTGCTCCTTAATAAAAATCAAACCATCAACTCTA
                    CCAAAATTAGTTGGGGTCAGTGATAGGAATTAATATTAGGTTATTTTTTGAAAACATAAT
                    GTATACACGGAAAGTGAGGAGAAAAAGGACAGGGGAATACAATATGGGAA
                    >contig:unspecified:586:1:3978:1 contig 586
                    TATATTTGCCTCATAAGAATGGGCCTATGGGCAAAAATGGGTTGGTCCAGATTGGGCTTT
                    TATTTATTTACATAGGAAGGGAAAAAGGCCCATAACCCAACAATTTTAACACCACATTCA
                    TTTACAAATCTACCCATTTGACCGAATCGACTTTTTTTCTTTTCATGTTCTTCTTCTCTC
                    AAGATAATTTAATTTATGATATTATCACAGTAAAATAAAAATTACTAAAATCTCACGCCG
                    TTTGCCCATTTTACAAACAAATTATATATCTTGTTGATTTAAATAAAAAAGAGATATATT
                    TAGATTAATAAATATAAAAGATAACGTAAATTTGTGTCATTTTATAATGAAAGGGGCATA
                    TATGAATTCAAAATATATTGAAAGGAATGTATTTAGATAAAAAAATATAGCGAAGGGTAT

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses