Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coverage plot

Can anyone recommend a good tool to display a coverage plot over a chromosome? The images produced by UCSC aren't of great quality nor can I customize it. I'm curious what most people use to generate high quality coverage plots with.

What's your desired input format for the script?

Comment

to start with, the length of the chromosome and the coverage information, perhaps in wig format.

For fancier stuff, say customizing color, size of the image (in pixels), how the +/- strand information is displayed, etc.

Comment

Maybe the alignment view of IGV is enough for want you want, it has a coverage track:
        If you are unable to find something or have a question about our new website, please email [email protected]. For other inquiries related to the Broad Institute, the necessary contact information can be found here.

For a completely different idea you could also have a look at (the R package for) Hilbert curves:

Comment

I've done coverage plots of small (circular) genomes using Biopython and GenomeDiagram, things like mitochondria or viruses - should work fine for bacteria too. However, this isn't an off the shelf point and click solution.

Comment

One of the features for the next release of SeqMonk will be a whole genome view. This will display the current quantitation for a single sample over the whole genome so you can configure it to show pretty much anything you want.

Comment

Savant can do that as well. If've got a BAM file of your aligments you can convert it into a BAM Coverage files. That allows you to display coverage along a chromosome easily. I attached a picture of a whole human chromosome 1 coverage plot.

Hope that helps,
              Best regards,
              Peter
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by svl View Post
                Maybe the alignment view of IGV is enough for want you want, it has a coverage track:
                If you are unable to find something or have a question about our new website, please email [email protected]. For other inquiries related to the Broad Institute, the necessary contact information can be found here.

For a completely different idea you could also have a look at (the R package for) Hilbert curves:
                http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber-srv/hilbert/
                I think IGV has the issue of displaying alignment only if you zoom-in enough.. not sure if that is true for the coverage track as well!
                --
                bioinfosm

Comment

IGV does a great job of displaying coverage information, but you do need to zoom in enough. I want something more on the chromosome level to get an overview of my coverage.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll have to spend some time looking at these.

Comment

hi, simonandrews

Do you have any experience in trying SeqMonk in linux? I use SSH to connect our linux server. I just downloaded SeqMonk to my directory and tried to launch it by using

java -Xmx1500m -classpath $CLASSPATH:. uk.ac.bbsrc.babraham.SeqMonk.SeqMonkApplication
                    but it didn't pop up any window.. I was wondering what the correct way is to use SeqMonk in Linux.

Thanks

-c

Comment

cliff - Make sure you use -X for X11 forwarding with ssh

Comment

Originally posted by golharam View Post
                        cliff - Make sure you use -X for X11 forwarding with ssh
                        hi, golharam

How to use -X for X11 forwading with SSH? I am not familiar with X11. I turned on "Tunnel X11 Connections" in ssh settings but it didn't work..

Comment

Are you using Windows? You'll need to install an X Server like ReflectionX, eXceed, or Cygwin. Googling for "X Forwarding on Windows" turned up http://www.cs.caltech.edu/courses/cs.../xwindows.html

Comment

Originally posted by cliff View Post
                            hi, simonandrews

Do you have any experience in trying SeqMonk in linux?
                            If you're running Linux locally on your machine then what you tried should have worked (and we use that here very successfully).

As others have pointed out, if you want to run SeqMonk on linux from a remote system over SSH you'll need to make sure that your ssh session is started with an X tunnel available (either ssh -X or set the appropriate flags in PuttY) and that you have a local X server running on your machine. This is the same for all graphical linux programs.

Having said that, I'm not sure I'd encourage people to run SeqMonk this way. The nature of the program means that it does big complex updates to its display all the time, which means that it has to send an awful lot of display data over X to work remotely. We know of one site who do it this way, but they run an nx server to improve the display performance.

Really, SeqMonk is better run as a local native application. It's designed to work on modest hardware so you don't need a particularly powerful PC to run it (the default configuration is optimised for a dual core machine with 2GB of RAM). If you've not tried running it directly on your desktop I'd try that before going to the hassle of getting a decent remote connection working.

Comment

Hi everyone,

IGV can also visualize the coverage of a whole chromosome at once without having to zoom in:
                              You need to create an extra .tdf-file (a binary tiled data file) using igvtools with the command "count" (see http://www.broadinstitute.org/igv/igvtools).

For example
                              igvtools count -z 7 -w 25 -e 0 alignments.bam alignments.coverage.tdf hg19

It supports the formats .sam, .bam, .aligned, .sorted.txt, and .bed.

Then you can load the .tdf-file into IGV and you get a pretty nice coverage plot.
                              Last edited by ForeignMan; 09-30-2010, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses