No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assemble RNA-Seq reads

Hi, everyone

Recently, I wanted to find some software which can assemble the RNA-Seq reads into transcripts. I have tried Velvet and Cufflinks. But because velvet is mainly design to assemble DNA sequencing reads and maybe couldn't correctly assemble RNA-Seq reads. So I used Cufflinks to assemble the RNA-Seq reads finally. But I am confused that why the transcripts in Cufflinks outputs file only contain one start and one end coordinate on the genome? One transcript may contain several exons. Furthermore, Cufflinks can't output the transcript sequences. Can anyone recommend me some sotfware which can assemble RNA-Seq reads? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Geng

Oases: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~zerbino/oases/

Comment

Originally posted by chengeng View Post
      Hi, everyone

Recently, I wanted to find some software which can assemble the RNA-Seq reads into transcripts. I have tried Velvet and Cufflinks. But because velvet is mainly design to assemble DNA sequencing reads and maybe couldn't correctly assemble RNA-Seq reads. So I used Cufflinks to assemble the RNA-Seq reads finally. But I am confused that why the transcripts in Cufflinks outputs file only contain one start and one end coordinate on the genome? One transcript may contain several exons. Furthermore, Cufflinks can't output the transcript sequences. Can anyone recommend me some sotfware which can assemble RNA-Seq reads? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Geng
      Geng:
      You should try aligning your reads using Tophat (since it also aligns reads spanning splice junctions). You should then use Cufflinks to assemble the Tophat SAM. If you only use bowtie or any other aligner that only maps reads within exons, then Cufflinks will not find any isoforms of transcripts.

hope this helps
      Siva
      ps: When you deal with mRNA-seq reads you have enriched your sequence for spliced transcripts. So all reads falling within a spliced exon will be 'collapsed' into a transcript. If any one thinks I have got it wrong, please correct me.
      Last edited by Siva; 05-08-2010, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Siva,

Thank you very much for your help. I will try it again.

Comment

Simon Anders,

Thanks. But Oases paper hasn't published, we can't cite it.

Comment

Help with assembling RNA-Seq reads.

Hi all.

I dont know is this the thread i should be subscribing. if not sorry. I have a small question. i have ran tophat and cufflinks on RNA-Seq data. I got the output .gtf file. Now i wanted to make a transcript fasta file. I dont know how can i do that.
            Please help.
            Thank you in advance.

Deepak

Comment

Originally posted by oxydeepu View Post
              Hi all.

I dont know is this the thread i should be subscribing. if not sorry. I have a small question. i have ran tophat and cufflinks on RNA-Seq data. I got the output .gtf file. Now i wanted to make a transcript fasta file. I dont know how can i do that.
              Please help.
              Thank you in advance.

Deepak
              Start a new thread please, with this same question. But to get you started, check out Scripture at http://www.broadinstitute.org/software/scripture/home

Comment

Hi Robbe..

I dont know how to start a new thread that is why i subscribed this post.
                Please suggest me how to..

Thank you
                Deepak

Comment

Go here
                  Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

An then click on New Thread to the left.

Comment

Thank you.
                    I will create a new post.

Comment

Originally posted by chengeng View Post
                      Simon Anders,

Thanks. But Oases paper hasn't published, we can't cite it.
                      Oases has been published...

I use it quite a bit and find it to be very good.

Comment

Originally posted by jgibbons1 View Post
                        Oases has been published...

I use it quite a bit and find it to be very good.
                        Note the date that the comment you replied to was created and when the paper was submitted

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
                          Note the date that the comment you replied to was created and when the paper was submitted
                          Ahhh...you're right! Whoops...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                          • seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                          0 responses