SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question:Most convenient way to get annotation information for a chromosome location? serenaliao Epigenetics 2 02-14-2013 12:36 PM
Information about RNA-Seq Coverage oiluig87 Bioinformatics 0 11-08-2012 01:23 AM
Question: Information about the Caltech RNA-Seq data on ENCODE and its corresponding tmy1018 Bioinformatics 1 08-15-2012 01:04 PM
samtools question - redefine mate information after applying filters caswater Bioinformatics 0 03-07-2012 08:37 PM

Old 07-28-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
ml439

Default question about RNA-Seq and strandness information

Hi,
I'm fairly new to RNA-Seq data analysis and I'm a bit confused about something and I'd like to get your views on it. I have run an RNA-Seq analysis for a set of samples that i have been told they were prepared as second strand. So I've run tophat2 (didn't include strandness there, left if as default), then I counted reads with HTSeq (using -s reverse), and done DESeq and DEXSeq. I was happy with my data, since I could detect our positive control splicing events, until I had to run another data set, and something went wrong.
I've contacted the people that had prepared the libraries and run the sequencing for us and it turns out that the first data set had to be run using fr-firststrand.
Now I'm very confused, why does my analysis show differential splicing in positive control splicing events, if it seems that i have run the wrong commands? is the fact that I run the mapping as default the explanation? but then how about counting with HTSeq? surely that should be counting the wrong strand and throwing away a lot of useful data?

I would appreciate if anyone could help, i'm extremely confused here.

Thank you very much for your time and help,

Miriam
ml439 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first strand, htseq, second strand, tophat2