No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for DNA mapping

Hi everybody,

I'm new in the NGS. I'm working on DNA mapping with data coming from shotgun sequencing (with illumina technology).
    I'm already working with BWA tools for the mapping and if understand good, this one is designed for deal with some big reference genome (like the human one?!).
    But I'm looking for program designed to work with small genomes, such as circular genome between 100 and 500kb.

Can anyone help me?

In advance thank you

All the programs, including BWA, will handle small genomes with ease.

Comment

Thank you,

but what do you mean by "all the program" ?

Now i'm trying to work with Razers3, but anybody can give me more tools ? ( free tools is prefer )
      Someone working with small genome would use a specific program?

Comment

Small reference size is not really an issue. Large references are problematic because your search space is so vast. You don't need a special alignment tool for a small reference Any of the commonly used ones will work on a small references. The two most commonly used are probably BWA or Bowtie/Bowtie2.

Comment

Originally posted by remimaglione View Post
          Thank you,

but what do you mean by "all the program" ?

Now i'm trying to work with Razers3, but anybody can give me more tools ? ( free tools is prefer )
          Someone working with small genome would use a specific program?
          You may try Subread - http://subread.sourceforge.net

Cheers,
          Wei

Comment

Thank you for this. I will try to do a little simulation on my laptop tonight.
            other programs are welcome !

Comment

Tools for DNA mapping

See the wiki for a list of available software.

Comment

and see GCAT for benchmarks of different tools

Comment

Originally posted by mastal View Post
                  See the wiki for a list of available software.

http://seqanswers.com/wiki/SEQanswers
                  I have already see this, but it was difficult for me to target a specific free tools for my study.
                  This is why I created this post to have the opinion of the community

Comment

You may want to check out Heng Li's (BWA creator) ROC curve benchmark on read mapping software:

One of the benefits of BWA, Bowtie2 and SOAP2 is that they use a Burrows Wheeler Transform to index the genome...this is very memory efficient for large genomes (humans for example). Because you're working with a relatively small reference genome, mappers which has-index the genome will work well as well, without a huge memory requirement (MAQ, Cloudburst, ZOOM, Stampy etc.).

I'm not very familiar with the merge-sorting method, but you may want to look into Slider .

I guess a better question is to ask what are you trying to get out of the mapping? Some software is better for SNP discovery, others are better for indels and CNVs and you'll see a trade-off between false-positives rate and false-negative rates.

Here's a nice paper that may help you make your decision:

Cheers.

Comment

I should say that I typically use Bowtie2 and BWA.

Comment

which aligners trade off between SNP discovery and indels/CNVs ?? Except in some types of indels, this is certainly a problem at the level of entire pipeline..
                        Last edited by oiiio; 05-01-2013, 08:09 AM.

Comment

SOAP2 for example has great accuracy in calling SNPs but can not confidently call indels larger than 6bp (see link to the Ruffalo et al. 2011 paper above). Novoalign, BWA and Bowtie are better at calling indels (albeit far from perfect).

Comment

I've not tried SOAP2 actually, but I have seen a bunch of comparisons of variant calling pipelines using the other ones you mentioned:

Anyways, it all goes to show that you need to tailor your pipeline to your sample for optimal results

Comment

Originally posted by oiiio View Post
                              Anyways, it all goes to show that you need to tailor your pipeline to your sample for optimal results
                              I couldn't agree more...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses