No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blat installation

Hello all,

I have been using AlingGraph to aling contigs I have to a reference genome. This program uses blat, however only supports up to version 34. I downloaded the blatSrc34.zip source code file and followed the README for installation on a Mac OSX 10.10.5. I get this error when executing the last step by running the make file using 'make' in the blastSRC directory:

$ make

cd lib && /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make

gcc -O -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE -DMACHTYPE_ -DJK_WARN -Wall -Werror -I../inc -I../../inc -I../../../inc -I../../../../inc -I../../../../../inc -o aliType.o -c aliType.c

aliType.c:5:19: error: unused variable 'rcsid' [-Werror,-Wunused-const-variable]

static char const rcsid[] = "$Id: aliType.c,v 1.4 2003/05/06 07:33:41 kate Exp $";

^

1 error generated.

make[1]: *** [aliType.o] Error 1

make: *** [all] Error 2

Any help with this?

Are you sure about the requirement for v34? Have you tried the latest blast executable for Mac OS?

Comment

Steps to install blat v34 on Mac OSX (10.10.5)

This is for Mac users who are using AlignGraph and want to use blat alignment which requires blat v34 (latest at the time of writing is blat v36)

Credit goes to Maximilian Haeussler & Hiram Clawson from blat for their help.

Download zip from the blat archives
      Unzip folder (blatSrc) and place in desired directory

*replace ar rcus in lib/makefile with libtool -static -o
      *replace ar rcus $(T) $(O) in jkOwnLib/makefile with libtool -static -o $(T) $(O)

1. Check that the environment variable MACHTYPE exist on your system.

command: $echo $MACHTYPE
      my result: x86_64-apple-darwin14

2. Determine what system reports itself as:

$uname -m
      my result: x86_64

3. Set the MACHTYPE environment variable in ~/.bash_profile

open ~/.bash_profile: $open -a TextEdit ~/.bash_profile

write this: MACHTYPE=x86_64
      write this: export MACHTYPE

close and save profile and then update: $source ~/.bash_profile

4. Make the directory ~/bin/$MACHTYPE where (non-web) executables will go.

$mkdir /usr/local/bin/$MACHTYPE

5. Add the directory made above to the path. In ~/.bash_profile similar to step 3

write this: PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin/$MACHTYPE

6. Make the directory $MACHTYPE in the lib directory (if not there already)

$mkdir /usr/local/bin/blastsrc/lib/$MACHTYPE

7. create jkweb in lib directory

lib$ make HG_WARN=""

8. In the blastSrc directory type 'make'

blastSrc$ make HG_WARN=''"

If you get this error:

ld: can't open output file for writing: /Users/*your_username/bin/x86_64/blat, errno=2 for architecture x86_64
      clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
      make[1]: *** [blat] Error 1
      make: *** [all] Error 2

Than go ahead and make the directory:

$ mkdir /Users/*your_username/bin/x86_64

The executable will be output in your directory. In this case you will have to go back in your ~/.bash_profile and change the path in order to use the executables easily in the ternimal.

Cheers

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
      0 responses