SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problems creating GTF for Cufflinks annotation DrD2009 Bioinformatics 10 02-23-2015 06:20 AM
how to remove 3'-adaptor sequence from illumina DGE expression data archory Bioinformatics 6 12-05-2011 06:55 AM
how to remove 3'-adaptor sequence from illumina DGE expression data archory Illumina/Solexa 0 11-29-2011 05:53 PM
What I can do with fastq data of Illumina GE nhbach Bioinformatics 3 11-22-2010 04:44 PM
Sequence Data Analyst - Illumina MaggieRyan Industry Jobs! 1 08-06-2010 03:17 PM

Old 01-30-2012, 04:34 AM   #1
tractorsazi

Default Problems with the illumina .fastq sequence data annotation

Does anyone know how I can annotate the .fastq file data resulted from illumina sequencing? I know thw Galaxy portal can be helpful for the trimming and grimmer for my 10 GB sequence file, but I don't know which step's result is a fasta file that is easy to use to annotation.
tractorsazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
arvid

I'm not sure what you mean by annotation here. What do you wish to achieve with your sequence data?
arvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
tractorsazi

I wish to achieve a fasta file of my sequencing results with some large contigs that be useful to distinguish the ORFs and their functions using the annotation pipeline. The CLC genomics workbench has the options to achieve this goal, but the free trial version of this software which I downloaded hasn't the highthrouput analysis tool.
tractorsazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
arvid

So you wish to de novo assemble your data.

If it is genomic data, search for "genome de novo assembly" and you'll find plenty of software (ABySS, Velvet, SOAPdenovo etc.). If it is RNA data, search for "transcriptome de novo assembly") and you find other software (e.g. Trinity, Oases, Trans-ABySS etc.).

You'll need a server with plenty of RAM and computing power to run most of these software, though... For the commercial alternatives (like CLCbio) you need some money and still a decent workstation (32 GB RAM).
arvid is offline   Reply With Quote