SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get started analysing 454 data lindseyjane 454 Pyrosequencing 7 08-02-2011 04:05 AM
Interpretome: new online tools for analysing personal genome data KerryOdair Personalized Genomics 4 06-20-2011 11:07 AM
PubMed: A short survey of computational analysis methods in analysing ChIP-seq data. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 02-08-2011 03:00 AM
RNA-Seq: A survey of statistical software for analysing RNA-seq data. Newsbot! Literature Watch 12 12-20-2010 10:10 PM
Analysing RNA seq data Balat RNA Sequencing 8 05-27-2010 05:47 PM

Old 11-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Strider

Default Analysing data from multiple platforms

Hi all,

Would anyone care to comment on the validity of combining data from multiple platforms for a targeted resequencing project. In particular, I am looking at data from 454 and MiSeq for amplicon sequencing project. I am assuming the important things to look for are base calling quality, depth and coverage. If those are high quality then there should be no problem publishing the combined data sets?

Thanks
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
rskr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Hi all,

Would anyone care to comment on the validity of combining data from multiple platforms for a targeted resequencing project. In particular, I am looking at data from 454 and MiSeq for amplicon sequencing project. I am assuming the important things to look for are base calling quality, depth and coverage. If those are high quality then there should be no problem publishing the combined data sets?

Thanks
In theory you are able to use multiple experimental methods to converge on the real solution. In practice you end up with more errors and more types of errors, because the analysis techniques are not sufficiently advanced to account for the various types of errors and correct each other. Further more the cost per base of doing something like a Hiseq run washes out anything you could get by doing repeated runs with multiple competing technologies.
rskr is offline   Reply With Quote