No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maq with no mismatches

Hello,

Is it possible to run maq to allow no mismatches in the alignment? I tried using -n but that doesn't seem to allow 0 as a value. I get the error:

[ma_match] please use 1, 2 or 3 with option -n. Abort!

Thanks for any help,

Steve

I agree it is odd that maq fails with -n 0 but I guess that is the special case of an exact match which doesn't really need special software like maq.

Standard substring matching will do this quite fast for you, you just have to remember to check the revcom strand as well.

eg. substr() in C, substr() in Perl and so on.

Comment

You could get good performance with novoalign with FASTQ reads as input:

novolaign -f <reads.fastq | reads.fasta > -d <db> -t 10 > output.

This would work on very long reads e.g. 50bp, 75bp ?

You could then use the novo2maq (in www.novocraft.com distribution) to do convert to MAQ's .map format and then carry on as per usual with your analysis.

Comment

I will certainly install novoalign, looks interesting.

In answer to Torst's response I need something that takes into account paired ends which would be a bit more involved if I wrote my own simple matcher...

I'd still be interested to know in maq what would be sensible cut off values to filter the existing output to get an idea of ones that are unlikely to have mapped. perhaps based on mapping quality (col 7 of mapview) and/or number of 0-mismatch hits of the first 24bp (col 12 of mapview).

Any ideas?

Comment

I usually filter out alignments with MAQ mapping quality scores <= 10. Other criteria do come into play e.g. with paired-ends you might remove unpaired reads, incorrect orientation,etc.
          Novoalign does do paired-end in case you were wondering about this.

Comment

zee, probably not the best thread for this question.. what support would novoalign have for paired-end reads as regards Structural variant detection.

I am having a hard time moving ahead with the MAQ SV results..
            --
            bioinfosm

Comment

I was able to run Maq with 0 mis, however I believe this is only in the first 24 bases of the read. The way I have found works best for sorting it all out is just by filtering your output file from maq mapview by the total mismatches column to assure the stringency level you are going for.

Comment

Bioinfosm,

Maq has an SV detector although some of my collaborators have complained that it falls short in some ways.
                Remember that with `maq.pl sv` there is some SV detection.

With novoalign, the tail end of the output file contains information on the fragment length distribution based on aligned pairs. I wrote a simple perl program to reformat the alignment output into BED format where each different call (long insert, delete, incorrect orientation,etc) was split into a different BED track.
                I can share this script.

Comment

Thanks Zee!
                  --
                  bioinfosm

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses