Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicate Sequence/High Overall Kmer Content

I am learning to interpret fastQC reports. I combined all the fastq files for R1 and R2 and ran fastQC on them separately. The rest of the summary look good except the duplication levels and Kmer content. For both R1 and R2, there is a slight increase of duplication levels after 10 (I know this is kind of to be expected). What bothers me is the overall high kmer content (above 70%) across all positions in read. I do not have any explanation for it, except that it looks like a systematic error. Is there anything I could do (trimming, filtering, etc.) about it or should I just leave it like that?

Thank you very much!
    Attached Files

Originally posted by lala2013 View Post
    I am learning to interpret fastQC reports. I combined all the fastq files for R1 and R2 and ran fastQC on them separately. The rest of the summary look good except the duplication levels and Kmer content. For both R1 and R2, there is a slight increase of duplication levels after 10 (I know this is kind of to be expected). What bothers me is the overall high kmer content (above 70%) across all positions in read. I do not have any explanation for it, except that it looks like a systematic error. Is there anything I could do (trimming, filtering, etc.) about it or should I just leave it like that?

Thank you very much!
    Those over represented Kmer plots are difficult to interpret and often leave an impression that things are far worse than they really are. First of all, the numbers on the Y-axis are NOT %, they are relative amounts. In your graph the AAAAA kmer is most over represented at position 1 of the read so that level of over representation is defined as '100'. The level of AAAAA over representation at other positions are then plotted relative to the over representation at position 1. In other words the high point for ANY kmer plotted in this graph will always equal 100.

The more important information is in the table below the graph. What is the actual level of over representation of the AAAAA kmer, the Observed/Expected ratio reported in the table?

Comment

It actually makes more sense after reading your reply! Below are the two tables after Kmer content graphs.

For R1:
      Sequence Count Obs/Exp Overall Obs/Exp Max Max Obs/ExpPosition
      AAAAA 19020565 3.0625381 4.010783 1
      TTTTT 19299775 3.0321934 3.3969162 10-14

For R2:
      Sequence Count Obs/Exp Overall Obs/Exp Max Max Obs/ExpPosition
      AAAAA 18148705 3.1093986 4.3404694 1

For both R1 and R2, the most observed AAAAA is at position 1. Does this say something about the data? But the most observed TTTTT is at 10-14 position. Also, assuming the count means the number of time the kmer is found in my data, is ~20million a big number? This is exome seq data

Comment

Personally I don't see anything in your QC that would worry me. The AAAAA & TTTTT over represented kmers are probably just some sequencing artifacts and really are not very abundant. Don't waste time stressing about them.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses