No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pooling reads from different libraries

Hi all,

I have a library I have been given to work with but am having trouble working out if my approach is legitimate. I have 3 libraries each containing 2 tissues from males, and another three libraries for females, one containing both tissues, and the other two with the tissues samples separately, e.g.

Sample 1 - Male - Tissue 1+2
    Sample 2 - Male - Tissue 1+2
    Sample 3 - Male - Tissue 1+2
    Sample 4 - Female - Tissue 1+2
    Sample 5 - Female - Tissue 1
    Sample 6 - Female - Tissue 2

Is it legitimate to combine sample 5 and 6 to have two replicates for females to compare against the males? I wondered if this would cause problems for fpkms (which are quite sensitive to library sizes) and/or counts as the combined sample would then contain very wildly different numbers of reads?

Many thanks,

Jen

I am still struggling with this problem and wondered if anyone had a similar experience? To clarify my problem further, the libraries detailed above were already sequenced before I got the data to work on, so I had no part in the experimental design, which I know is not ideal. So I actually have fastq reads. So, is it ok to combine two fastq files (for samples 5+6) to get one set of reads for tissues 1+2 which will be approximately double the sequence depth of all other tissue samples? The samples were treated in exactly the same way, except that they were separated before libraries were generated.

I think it is ok, but i'm not sure if there's something I have overlooked.

I hope somebody can help me! Thanks.

Comment

Are the 3 male samples biological replicates from 3 individual males? And similarly for the females? If so, then technically you'd be pooling variation between two females. Read depth shouldn't be an issue if you normalize anyways.

I'd probably do some quick QC with all 6 samples separately first (e.g. just see where everything falls on a PCA).

Comment

Hi Fanli, thanks for your reply!

Yes, the males are all separate individuals. For the females, sample 4 is from one individual, and sample 5 and 6 are different tissues of the same individual. So in total, there are 3 males and 2 females.

I did a PCA, and samples 5 and 6 were quite different from each other, which is what i'd expect. I haven't tried a PCA yet combining 5+6 into one sample yet though.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses