Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to identify the taxonomy of assembled genomes?

Hi everyone,
    Briefly, I applied coverage-based binning method plus pentamer-frequency ordination on metagenomic assembled contigs, to isolate individual genomes.

Now I'm looking for clever (confident, efficient) methods to answer following questions:
    1) Who do those genomes belong to? (ie. identify their taxonomy)
    2) How complete are they?

For (1) I've tried AmphoraNet and found it quite good. But what about blasting everything against NCBI-genomes database? Would that work fast enough on a small server (Xeon, 16 cores, 96 GB memory)?

Question (2) could probably be answered if (1) is reached succesfully.

However, it could happen that I get, e.g., a novel Proteobacteria, but how to be sure this is really the case and it is not due to misassembly issues. It's a challenging discipline.

Thanks for your insights.
    Last edited by fibar; 12-02-2015, 11:36 AM. Reason: Increase accuracy of thread.

For the course level use blastx(p), for more refined - blastn

I may suggest trying blastx or blastp (if you've got good protein predictions) for the coarse level of closest neighbour finding.

For more refined use blastn on the DNA sequence (nt or similar db).
    It is a good idea to create more specific database (esp nt one), and have them on dedicated SSD (esp. nvme or PCIe one).

On the performance side of things, give blastn 900bp or 1kb chunks, turn megablast on and upp the word size. "-n T -W 32".
    For blastx - raise the expect to 1e-5 or 1e-10, and give it 450 bp chunks.

Also it is good idea to play with number of cpus per job (depending on number of cores per cpu, db/ram size).

PS: also there is a blast-like tool called diamond (used by AntiSMASH), which may be a bit faster in some cases, but the developers kept changing it's output format, so not as stable as blast, if you need to write your own parser.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses