SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to build reference genome for targeted region(from a BED file) for alignment? serenaliao Epigenetics 6 08-07-2015 01:44 PM
How to extract alignment of one reads mapped to specific region? hujiacun Bioinformatics 3 05-17-2015 11:32 PM
HLA region alignment jbelmont Bioinformatics 4 08-20-2012 03:57 PM
Alignment to selected region of the reference genome houkto General 1 02-20-2012 05:51 AM
alignment reads in homologous region m_elena_bioinfo Bioinformatics 7 03-16-2011 07:27 AM

Old 04-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
icanwinwyz

Default RNA-seq alignment on novel region

Hi everyone,
My colleagues just discovered a novel lncRNA region and I would like to check its expression in my 30 RNA-seq samples. The length of this region is 2438bp with two transcript variants, which are 645bp and 553bp (strand information is not available), respectively. I used STAR to perform the alignment on this region and bedtools multicov to count the expression on whole region and its two transcript variants. The procedure is shown below:

STAR --runMode genomeGenerate --genomeDir ./lncRNA-genome --genomeFastaFiles ./lncRNA.fa --genomeSAindexNbases 10 ####I extracted the sequences of this region and made fasta file and built up STAR index, since the length is small, so I have to change the "genomeSAindexNbases"

STAR --genomeDir ./lncRNA_genome --outSAMunmapped Within --runThreadN 4 --genomeLoad LoadAndRemove --limitBAMsortRAM 10000000002 --outSAMtype BAM SortedByCoordinate --outFileNamePrefix sample1 --readFilesIn sample1.fastq ######STAR alignment only to this region

samtools index sample1.sorted.bam####index bam

bedtools multicov -bams sample1.sorted.bam -bed ./lncRNA.bed > results.txt#####bedtools to count expression on whole region and two variants

After counting the expression, I would like to use rpm (reads per million) to compare the expression for the whole region and two transcript variants among my 30 RNA-seq samples, respectively.

So I would like to know is there anything that I miss or have to pay attention to or you guys have some suggestions? Thanks!!
icanwinwyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, count expression, star