Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-Seq Pathway and Gene-set Analysis Workflows in R/Bioconductor with GAGE/Pathview

The gage package (2.12.0) now includes a new tutorial, "RNA-Seq Data Pathway and Gene-set Analysis Workflows". Note you need to update to current release versions of R(3.0.2)/ Bioconductor(2.13) to use all the features. Please check it out:
    GAGE is a published method for gene set (enrichment or GSEA) or pathway analysis. GAGE is generally applicable independent of microarray or RNA-Seq data attributes including sample sizes, experimental designs, assay platforms, and other types of heterogeneity, and consistently achieves superior performance over other frequently used methods. In gage package, we provide functions for basic GAGE analysis, result processing and presentation. We have also built pipeline routines for of multiple GAGE analyses in a batch, comparison between parallel analyses, and combined analysis of heterogeneous data from different sources/studies. In addition, we provide demo microarray data and commonly used gene set data based on KEGG pathways and GO terms. These funtions and data are also useful for gene set analysis using other methods.

We first cover a full workflow from preparation, reads counting, data preprocessing, gene set test, to pathway visualization in about 40 lines of codes. The same workflow can be used for GO analysis or other types of gene set analysis too. We also describe joint workflows, i.e. to do gene-level analysis using one of the major RNA-Seq analysis tools, DEseq/DEseq2, edgeR, limma and Cufflinks, and feed the results into GAGE/Pahview for pathway analysis or visualization. All these workflows are implemented in R/Bioconductor.
    Comments and questions are welcome. Thanks!
    Last edited by bigmw; 10-21-2013, 03:52 PM.

GAGE and Pathview can be used independent of each other. GAGE does pathway and Gene-set Analysis, and works on other tyeps of gene sets than pathways, like GO, coexpressed/coregulated gene sets, TF or miRNA target lists etc. Pathview may integrate and visualizeuser data onto pathway graphs independent of pathway analysis procedure.

Pathview package available at:
    Pathview is a tool set for pathway based data integration and visualization. It maps and renders a wide variety of biological data on relevant pathway graphs. All users need is to supply their data and specify the target pathway. Pathview automatically downloads the pathway graph data, parses the data file, maps user data to the pathway, and render pathway graph with the mapped data. In addition, Pathview also seamlessly integrates with pathway and gene set (enrichment) analysis tools for large-scale and fully automated analysis.

Here is the info page with example output:

Comment

I’ve both gage and pathview installed on my computer. I tried to follow the example in the native workflow. Things work well, except I didn’t get 4 samples show up in the same graph (or nodes with 4 slices) as in Figure 2 of the workflow document, instead I got 4 separate graphs. What I might have done wrong?

Comment

What versions of gage, pathview and Bioconductor you have?

Comment

gage 2.10.0, pathview 1.1.4 and Bioconductor 2.12

Comment

pathview 1.1.4 does not show multiple samples/states in the same graph, you need to upgrade to the current release, which is 1.2.0: http://bioconductor.org/packages/rel.../pathview.html.
            I would recommend to do an overall upgrade to R 3.0.2/Bioconductor 2.13, which will update your pathview and gage to the latest version too.

Comment

If you don’t know how to upgrade Bioc, please check:
              The Bioconductor project aims to develop and share open source software for precise and repeatable analysis of biological data. We foster an inclusive and collaborative community of developers and data scientists.

Here is some work around if you get problems:

Comment

Can I use the workflow (with necessary changes) for microarray data analysis? If so, how?

Comment

GAGE/Pathview workflow can be applied for microarray data analysis. Please check the main tutorials of gage and pathview for details:

Comment

Pathview is actually applicable to any data mappable to pathways, including gene, protein, metabolite, genetics, literature, and others. The tutorial describes examples on metabolite/compound data too.

Comment

Hi I was playing around with GAGE, one question is that I got the count table by HTSeq, and the ids are gene names for each row, how can I change the gene names to GO term ids?

Thanks

Comment

You don’t have to change gene names/IDs to GO term IDs. GAGE (or other gene set analysis tools) requires two major input data objects: your expression data (vector or matrix-like) and gene set list (list of gene ID vectors). Make sure your gene IDs in expression data and gene set list are the same type, i.e. both are Entrez Gene IDs, or both gene symbols, etc.
                        You may want to go through the basics and common use of gage described in the main gage vignette:

if you want a quick start, section 1, 6 and 7 (page 1, 4-8) would be enough. You will see examples for both KEGG and GO analysis.

Comment

If you follow the RNA-seq workflows (links in the first post above), we can actually work on the demo examples from Step 2. In other words, we can start with the pre-mapped raw read counts data (from previous steps), i.e. hnrnp.cnts stored in gageData. I would suggest you to run the demo example and explore gage/pathview functions and input/output data by yourself.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

In your vignette, we are suppose to provide our annotation file.
                              I wonder where have you obtained "kegg.gs"?
                              and I want to use GO annotation. So where can I obtain "GO.gs" in R?
                              Thank you.

Frustrated user

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                              0 responses