Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you can refer to the manual at https://trac.nbic.nl/pindel/wiki/UserManual

Comment

I ran into some problems while trying to use pindel:
      1. is there a 32bit-version?
      2. while trying to compile version 0.2.4 there was an error with TIME_MINE_E, which is only set once to time(null) and never used in the rest of the code; as i did not see a possibility to fix that without writing around in your code, i decided to download version 0.2.0
      3. after downloading version 0.2.0 and trying to run it with the parameters described on https://trac.nbic.nl/pindel/wiki/UserManual i only got the following usage information:
      Welcome to Pindel, developed by Kai Ye, [email protected]

7 parameters are required here:
      1. Input: the reference genome sequences in fasta format;
      2. Input: the unmapped reads in a modified fastq format;
      Better to use bam2pindel.pl to convert BAM files to Pindel input.
      If the perl script fails for some reasons, please use the provided
      sam2pindel.cpp to extract reads from sam files.
      Compile cpp file first: g++ sam2pindel.cpp -o sam2pindel -O3
      3. Output folder
      4. BreakDancer result:
      ChrA LocA stringA ChrB LocB stringB others
      If you don't have BreakDancer result, please provide an empty file here.
      5. Maximum event size index. 5 is recommended
      2: 128
      3: 512
      4: 2,048
      5: 8,092
      6: 32,368
      7: 129,472
      8: 517,888
      9: 2,071,552
      10: 8,286,208
      11: 33,144,832
      12: 132,579,328
      6. Number of threads
      7. Which chr/fragment
      Pindel will process reads for one chr each time
      ChrName must be the same as in reference sequence and in read file
      so it seems as if the information on the homepage is no longer accurate

finally i got it to run and it seems to work perfectly (thanks for that :-) ) but the way of getting there was a little painful.

Comment

Originally posted by mig174 View Post
        I ran into some problems while trying to use pindel:
        1. is there a 32bit-version?
        2. while trying to compile version 0.2.4 there was an error with TIME_MINE_E, which is only set once to time(null) and never used in the rest of the code; as i did not see a possibility to fix that without writing around in your code, i decided to download version 0.2.0
        3. after downloading version 0.2.0 and trying to run it with the parameters described on https://trac.nbic.nl/pindel/wiki/UserManual i only got the following usage information:

so it seems as if the information on the homepage is no longer accurate

finally i got it to run and it seems to work perfectly (thanks for that :-) ) but the way of getting there was a little painful.
        1. Can you indicate which linux distribution you are using? I would install it on my PC to test it.
        2. There are many nice features and improvement in new version. It is strongly advised to use the new version. And current stable version is 0.2.4h. I would like to you help you compiling the latest version. Please communicate with me by email, [email protected]
        3. Current user manual is for the versions after 0.2.3, which has different but a more user friendly interface.
        4. We support both BWA and mosaik BAMs now.

Please contact me by email ([email protected]) or phone (+31 71 526 9745). We will find a solution for you to run the latest version of Pindel.

Cheers,

Kai

Comment

Hi Kai,

I was wondering if there were any special parameters required while running BWA, or are the default values ok?

Also, if I have sequence libraries with different insert sizes should I map them into separate bam files?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by fyusufi View Post
            Hi Kai,

I was wondering if there were any special parameters required while running BWA, or are the default values ok?

Also, if I have sequence libraries with different insert sizes should I map them into separate bam files?

Thanks!
            Default parameters of BWA is fine.

If you have multiple insert sizes, it is better to map them separately. It is possible to put them in one BAM if the insert sizes don't differ very much, say 400 vs 500. Pindel will internally double the number so that slightly underestimation is fine.

Kai

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!

Comment

Hey Kai,

I am just wondering about the power of Pindel to detect long insertions. When I was running Pindel on a single chromosome, I didn't find any large insertions. But actually there are some duplications in that chromosome identified by breakdancer. Did I miss something? The "zero" LI looks very strange to me.

thanks a lot,

Comment

Originally posted by libiyagirl View Post
                  Hey Kai,

I am just wondering about the power of Pindel to detect long insertions. When I was running Pindel on a single chromosome, I didn't find any large insertions. But actually there are some duplications in that chromosome identified by breakdancer. Did I miss something? The "zero" LI looks very strange to me.

thanks a lot,
                  Please check whether you switch on long insertion option. In some versions, this function is turned off by default.

Kai

Comment

Hello,

I am about to use pindel and I am wondering some questions.
                    I have a file mapped with bwa and illumnia reads.
                    As I see in the pindel webpage https://trac.nbic.nl/pindel/wiki/UserManual I should use "unmappable read". I have several bams, so I don't know which to use, those are:
                    1. sample.bam: mapped and unmmapped reads,it is not sorted
                    2. sample_mapped.bam: just mapped reads, it is not sorted, it has not unmapped
                    3. sample_mapped_singlehit_sorted.bam: just mapped reads, it is sorted, it has only single hit and it is not unmapped

should I use one of this files? or maybe another with the unmappable reads?

thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by ralonso View Post
                      Hello,

I am about to use pindel and I am wondering some questions.
                      I have a file mapped with bwa and illumnia reads.
                      As I see in the pindel webpage https://trac.nbic.nl/pindel/wiki/UserManual I should use "unmappable read". I have several bams, so I don't know which to use, those are:
                      1. sample.bam: mapped and unmmapped reads,it is not sorted
                      2. sample_mapped.bam: just mapped reads, it is not sorted, it has not unmapped
                      3. sample_mapped_singlehit_sorted.bam: just mapped reads, it is sorted, it has only single hit and it is not unmapped

should I use one of this files? or maybe another with the unmappable reads?

thank you very much!
                      sorted sample.bam will be fine. Pindel reads bam files directly and get useful reads by itself.

You need to use config file to tell Pindel where are your files, insert size and sample names.

Kai

Comment

I don't have it sorted, could I use it even this fact? or is it totally necessary to sort it?
                        Last edited by ralonso; 02-29-2012, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ralonso View Post
                          I don't have it sorted, could I use it even this fact? or is it totally necessary to sort it?
                          It is better sorted and then let Pindel directly read your sorted bam, -i config file.

Otherwise, you may use sam2pindel to extract reads (then use -p extracted_reads), but it is not recommended, as this takes additional space and runtime.

Kai

Comment

hi, KaiYe
                            i'm wondering - does Pindel works only with human genome?

Comment

Originally posted by sam.a View Post
                              hi, KaiYe
                              i'm wondering - does Pindel works only with human genome?
                              Of course, as long as there is a reference genome or contigs.

Comment

Hi KaiYe,

I used MarkDuplicates from Picard and mark duplicates but did not removed them.
                                I have a question does pindel need file with removed duplicates or can work with Marked ones?

Thank you in an advance.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                                0 responses