Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by naluru View Post
    It will be really helpful if you could provide that code. Do you know how SHRiMP and Mosiak assembler deal with it?
    Dear Neel,
    I'm sorry to say that the code I had in mind was only for the old MAQ output files and it won't work with SAM files. I looked at it a bit, but it is not straightforward to get it to work with SAM files. As far as I know, SHRiMP is much better at dealing with colorspace. I cannot say anything about Mosaik.

Comment

consideration of paired ends

Nice job creating this tool!
      one suggestion: be nice to be able to work with paired end reads together to improve accuracy especially for reads contain short partial adaptors, since if one read contain adaptor the other end should contain adaptor as well.

Comment

Thanks, Marcel. No problem. I will try to work around it.

Neel

Comment

Originally posted by mmartin View Post
          robs: cutadapt was developed for SOLiD and 454 data and also works with Illumina reads.

cutadapt is focused on command-line users who have a data file from a second-generation sequencing machine and want to simply remove one or more know adapter sequences from that file. There is probably some overlap in functionality to the tools you mention. TagClean and SeqClean were published after I have implemented cutadapt, and SeqTrim was unknown to me. Also, SeqClean and SeqTrim seem to be primarily for the analysis of Sanger sequencing data. I cannot say how easy it is to get them to work with second-generation data. SeqTrim, for example, seems to not be able to cope with FASTQ files.
          Thanks for the answer. It might be useful to perform some run time comparisons. Also, I think non of the previous tools were designed for pair-end read data and I agree with nntao that this would be a nice feature to see in cutadapt.

Comment

This is interesting. I have only some experience with paired-end data. How would the data look like? Would one expect that the adapter starts at the same position in both reads?

Comment

Trimming adaptors from paired-end reads

It depends on how the paired-end sequencing libraries are prepared, in particular, whether adaptor/primers are introduced in the process. In a general case, you'll have molecuales like the following that are fed to the sequencer (sometimes the adaptor are after the sequencing primers, other times the there could be just sequencing primer):

----adaptor1SAMPLEDNA2rotpada
              --->adaptor1SAMPLEDNA2rotpadaremirp # F read obtained with 2 bp adaptor underlined
              ----adaptor1SAMPLEDNA2rotpada<- # R read with a 2 bp from adaptor too

---primerSAMPLEDNAremirp
              -------->SAMPLEDNAremirp # read obtained

When trimming short adaptors down to 2 bp, you may over-trim reads that are with ends like the adaptor/primer (~~ 1/16 chance). But if both Forward and Reverse reads contain the 2 bp adaptor, they are likely from the adaptor because the SAMPLEDNA fragment is short (thus both reads would contain adaptors).

Again, thanks for you hard and nice work!

Comment

Thanks for the explanation ("rotpada" is nice :-) ). I cannot promise that I'll implement this, but I've added it as an enhancement request to the issue tracker. It would also be helpful if someone could provide me with a few actual paired-end reads with adapters. A SRA accession number would also be ok.

Comment

Hello,

I'd like to announce that cutadapt 0.9.5 has been released. Please see the cutadapt homepage for the release announcement and the changelog. Please also note that the alignment algorithm was improved slightly in this release.

Comment

Thanks, this has been a wonderful tool by the way.

Comment

Hi, I am trying to use cutadapt to trim the adapter in some illumina reads, the adapter is on the first position. The output still contains the adapter. What am I doing wrong?

cutadapt -a N ~/Desktop/pr/reads1.fq -o ~/Desktop/pr/reads.fq

Also, is there any option in bwa that trims the first base of the read (or an adapter)?

Comment

I have a problem using cutadapt. The output file still contain the adapter. What am I doing wrong?

cutadapt -a N ~/Desktop/pr/reads1.fq > ~/Desktop/pr/reads.fq

When I use the program, it removes the adapter, but when I save it in an output file, it has the adapter.
                        Last edited by mghita; 08-15-2011, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mghita View Post
                          I have a problem using cutadapt. The output file still contain the adapter. What am I doing wrong?
                          cutadapt -a N ~/Desktop/pr/reads1.fq > ~/Desktop/pr/reads.fq
                          When I use the program, it removes the adapter, but when I save it in an output file, it has the adapter.
                          "-a N" means your adaptor sequence is a single "N" letter? Is that what you intended?

Comment

Originally posted by Torst View Post
                            "-a N" means your adaptor sequence is a single "N" letter? Is that what you intended?

Initially, that was what I was intended, but I have discovered that other reads include a series of N's, so now I am interested in removing the reads that have N's inside. cutadapt did not work for that either.

Also, I would like to know if anyone has any method of eliminating the first (few) and last (some) bases from the reads?

Comment

Originally posted by mghita View Post
                              Initially, that was what I was intended, but I have discovered that other reads include a series of N's, so now I am interested in removing the reads that have N's inside. cutadapt did not work for that either.
                              Also, I would like to know if anyone has any method of eliminating the first (few) and last (some) bases from the reads?
                              You should be able to write a trivial perl/python/C program to remove reads with N in them?

If not, perhaps the FASTX toolkit could be used: http://hannonlab.cshl.edu/fastx_toolkit/

Comment

Is it possible to have an option added to cutadapt to mask adapter sequences rather than to discard or trim reads?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                                0 responses