Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Brian,

that dedupe function looks great! We have been waiting for such a tool.

Comment

Thanks, luc, I appreciate it.

Comment

Hi Brian, any update on allowing non-interleaved input/output? I'd love to remove the reformat.sh steps before and after clumpify.sh

Comment

Hi Devon,

Yes, this is all done, I just haven't released it yet. I'll do so tomorrow (difficult for me to do where I am now; today's a vacation day here).

Comment

Ah, right, MLK day. Enjoy the day off and stop checking SEQanswers!

Comment

It's a day late since our cluster was down yesterday, but BBTools 36.85 is released, and Clumpify now supports twin files:

Code:
              clumpify.sh in1=r1.fq.gz in2=r2.fq.gz out1=c1.fq.gz out2=c2.fq.gz

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
                It's a day late since our cluster was down yesterday, but BBTools 36.85 is released, and Clumpify now supports twin files:

Code:
                Yay! Two less operations ...

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post

Code:
                  A day late is still a quick turn around

Thanks for the great update!

Comment

Feature request: It'd be quite nice to be able to write marked duplicates to a different file or files. At the moment, I have to mark duplicates and write everything to a temporary file, which is then processed. Granted, one CAN use "out=stderr.fastq" and send that to a pipe, but then one needs to deal with all of the normal stuff that's written to stderr.

The impetus behind this is removing optical duplicates before delivery to the our labs but still writing them to a separate file or files in case they need them for some reason.

BTW, do you have any recommendations for the "dist" parameter on a HiSeq 4000? I was planning to just do a parameter sweep, but if that's already been done by someone else...

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
                      Feature request: It'd be quite nice to be able to write marked duplicates to a different file or files. At the moment, I have to mark duplicates and write everything to a temporary file, which is then processed. Granted, one CAN use "out=stderr.fastq" and send that to a pipe, but then one needs to deal with all of the normal stuff that's written to stderr.
                      That request has been in for some time I also wanted to see counts (with associated sequence) to see how acute of a problem the duplicates may be.

For now use the following workaround provided by @Brian.

Code:
                      clumpify.sh in=x.fq out=y.fq markduplicates [optical allduplicates subs=0]
                      filterbyname.sh in=y.fq out=dupes.fq names=duplicate substring include
                      filterbyname.sh in=y.fq out=unique.fq names=duplicate substring include=f
                      BTW, do you have any recommendations for the "dist" parameter on a HiSeq 4000? I was planning to just do a parameter sweep, but if that's already been done by someone else...
                      This is a bit murky. I have done the sweeps with 4000 data I have access to. If I keep the spantiles=f then I don't see any optical dups until dupedist=20. Note: The edge duplicates problem seen with NextSeq (which has @Brian setting spantiles=t by default) is not present in HiSeq 4000/MiSeq (again based on data I have seen).

I have not pulled out the reads using the method above to look at the co-ordinates/sequence as yet.

It may be good to see what you get.
                      Last edited by GenoMax; 01-23-2017, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Additionally, is there any way to make clumpify itself respect the "threads=" setting? pigz seems to, but clumpify itself seems to use as many as it can get regardless of what I specify. This is in version 36.86.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                          For now use the following workaround provided by @Brian.

Code:
                          clumpify.sh in=x.fq out=y.fq markduplicates [optical allduplicates subs=0]
                          filterbyname.sh in=y.fq out=dupes.fq names=duplicate substring include
                          filterbyname.sh in=y.fq out=unique.fq names=duplicate substring include=f
                          Thanks, in the interim I just wrote something in C that I can just call once to do this (it also strips "duplicate" from the read names).

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                          This is a bit murky. I have done the sweeps with 4000 data I have access to. If I keep the spantiles=f then I don't see any optical dups until dupedist=20. Note: The edge duplicates problem seen with NextSeq (which has @Brian setting spantiles=t by default) is not present in HiSeq 4000/MiSeq (again based on data I have seen).
                          Thanks, I'm running this now on a single sample, I'll post in image when I have a worthwhile sweep range.

Comment

Thanks, I'm running this now on a single sample, I'll post in image when I have a worthwhile sweep range.
                            Do the sweep with spanfiles=f and t. I was only interested in optical duplicates when I did mine.

Comment

Additionally, is there any way to make clumpify itself respect the "threads=" setting? pigz seems to, but clumpify itself seems to use as many as it can get regardless of what I specify. This is in version 36.86.
                              Oh, hmmm... that will be very tricky. When running with one group, Clumpify should respect threads correctly. But when writing temp files (when happens whenever the reads won't all fit in memory), it uses at least one thread per temp file, and the default is a minimum of 11 temp files. Your best bet, unfortunately, would be to bind the process to a certain number of cores. You can also manually set the number of groups which indirectly affect the number of threads used.

Clumpify also uses multithreaded sorting, which uses all available cores, but normally that only happens for a small fraction of the runtime. However, I will add a flag to disable it.

Comment

The impetus behind this is removing optical duplicates before delivery to the our labs but still writing them to a separate file or files in case they need them for some reason.
                                I will plan to add a new output stream for duplicate files as well, though I might not get to it this week.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                                0 responses