No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intronic/intergentic variants using NGS WES

Hello folks,

Currently I'm looking for cost effective approaches to cover intronic and intergenic SNPs variants using Illumina NGS workflow? Some targeted enrichment protocol address that issue (i.e. TSCancer) and include probes for selected SNPs (~240), however I wonder is it possible to capture intronic variants using whole exome analysis? The conventional genotyping arrays would be the answer, however personally I consider this methodology outdated and looking for applicable alternative with NGS (whole genome seq would be ideal, however it's still too costly). Are there any protocols to customise exome enrichment kits and add desired non-exonic variants content?

thank you in advance for help,

R.
    Last edited by ramujana; 09-16-2016, 04:52 AM.

The goal of exome capture is to exclude non-exomic content, so if you are interested in that, you should use whole-genome sequencing. The point of exome enrichment kits is to A) not be customizable and B) not give you intronic content, which is considered off-target.

You might be able to capture more of the intronic content that abuts exons using longer-insert paired-end libraries. For anything more than an insert-size away from a target, there's nothing you can do unless you define your own custom capture kit.

You can, of course, call variants on very low coverage regions... like, say, 3x. The accuracy will be low for a given sample, but if you have a lot of samples, that could make up for it. I've proposed mixing half exome-capture and half whole-genome together into the same library and sequencing it, since I think intronic variants are very important (and this was in the context of families, in which variants could be verified using inheritance), but I was unable to convince anyone else that it was a good idea, as they believed that exonic variants were the "low-hanging fruit". Still, in your situation, you might consider this approach.

Comment

Thanks Brian for insights.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
        Yesterday, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses