Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESeq2 beta prior

I have a dataset where the condition of interest is a factor with 3 levels. DESeq2 issues me a warning to use betaPrior=False otherwise the log2 FoldChange will be affected by the base level. I thought the fold-change is always calculated w.r.t to a base level.

In my case, I have 3 time points (0 - control, 15, and 60). I get results for 15_vs_0 and 60_vs_0, and of course, these are different and depend on the fact that I chose 0 as the base point. I ran the DESeq function with and without betaPrior=F, and I get different results for 0_vs_15 fold change and p-values for the betaPrior=T/F cases.

What is the beta prior for? I tried to look in the DESeq2 paper at bioRXiv (http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2014/02/19/002832) and I don't think there is a beta distribution involved. Or is it talking about the normal prior for the estimated beta parameter in the GLM? i.e., is it the equation (10) of the "Moderated estimation of fold change and dispersion for RNA-Seq data with DESeq2" paper?

hi,

Yes you've got it right (it's the zero-centered Normal prior). In the paper, we say "logarithmic fold change prior", and as logarithmic fold changes are written as beta in the GLM, in the software we use the shorter "betaPrior".

Note this is described in the help file for ?DESeq and ?nbinomWaldTest:

betaPrior whether or not to put a zero-mean normal prior on the non-intercept coefficients (Tikhonov/ridge regularization) See nbinomWaldTest for description. Only used for the Wald test.

The warning is discussed on the Bioc list here

and here

briefly, in version 1.2, the LFC estimates can change if you choose a different base level, i.e. 15_vs_0 was not the same as -1 * 0_vs_15

We have fixed this in version 1.3, so that the LFCs are base-level independent. In this case, you can make contrasts of any level against any other level, using the contrast argument to results(). This is accomplished with the expanded model matrix described in the paper and in ?nbinomWaldTest.

Comment

Thanks! It's probably better to use version 1.3. How can I install the development version? Bioconductor installed 1.2.10.

Comment

it will install automatically, if you are running the development version of R.

it's not trivial to install devel R alongside release R, but we are really happy to have devel testers

there is some information on the Bioconductor website under 'developers'

The devel version 1.3 will become release 1.4 on April 14, 2014.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses