No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smaller fragments then cut out after gel purification

hi there,

can anybody explain me, why i become in pcr 300 bp fragments, but cut out in the gel after ligation of the adapters 400-450 bp?
    in NEBNext sample prep i see the problem and for the truseq protocol illumina gives warning for this:

"Cutting a band between 400–500 bp will result in an insert size of approximately 300–400 bp, accounting for the size of the adapters. Adapters add approximately 120 bp to each fragment. The sequencing read length should be considered when cutting fragment sizes. Sequencing reads that over‐reach into the adapter will cause chimeric reads, unalignable to the reference sequence."
    is there a name for this? is the effect only for ds DNA Fragments?

the sequencing adapters add ~60bp to either end of the fragments gDNA (referred to as the "insert"). for 2x100bp sequencing, an insert size of 300bp (+120bp adapters =420bp total) ensures that the data collected from read 1 and read 2 will not overlap. for example if the insert size were 150bp, then with 2x100bp reads, 50bp from each fragment would be duplicate data. i would file this under duplicate bases (vs. duplicate reads, which are largely pcr artifacts)

that said, I believe GATK can handle data with base calls in the adapter sequence. however, i am unsure whether this sequence is trimmed or if the read is discarded.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses