No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected differential expression

I was wondering if anyone had any input on what follows below:

I have a pretty straightforward experimental setup for de novo transcriptome assembly and differential expression analysis:

2 conditions: Stressed and unstressed
    3 replicates for each condition
    RNA extracted first by trizol/chloroform, followed by PolyA selection -> Illumina mRNA lib prep kit v2 (replicates individually indexed)

I get back ~half a billion reads. Pool everything and assembly a de novo transcriptome. I estimate abundance with RSEM for each of my 6 replicate samples and then run differential expression with edgeR.

What I find puzzles me (I am looking for genes that are upregulated in response to stress). Between my 2 conditions I get ~700 differentially expressed genes. I look at those upregulated in my stressed condition and BLAST results are ~99% unknown. I look at those genes down regulated in the stress condition and some of them all look like things that I would expect to be UP not down regulated.

Do you think I have completely messed up my experiment? Besides actual down regulation of a genes transcription I wonder what could explain these results.

If a transcript is translated a lot will that led to faster turn over?

If anyone has any ideas about some biological explanation, I love to hear it.

Cheers,
    T

No biological explanation I am afraid, but did you check back against raw counts? I had the same thing happen before, but found that the script I wrote put conditions back to front in the results, if you get me. So in edgeR: conds<-c("cond1","cond2"), but the results were + for up-regulation of cond2, where I expected cond1... I now always double check with raw reads to see if it makes sense. Just take one highly DE gene, compare mean count of the replicates between conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce01 View Post
      No biological explanation I am afraid, but did you check back against raw counts? I had the same thing happen before, but found that the script I wrote put conditions back to front in the results, if you get me. So in edgeR: conds<-c("cond1","cond2"), but the results were + for up-regulation of cond2, where I expected cond1... I now always double check with raw reads to see if it makes sense. Just take one highly DE gene, compare mean count of the replicates between conditions.
      Thanks for the reply. Yes I have been looking at the raw reads and they tell the same story. In my stressed condition the raw reads are very low for things I would expect to be high, relative to unstressed.

Comment

Out of interest what sort of genes are these that you expect from stress response? Any chance that the stress is causing a stop in transcription giving the effect? So a pathway is being diverted by this?

Comment

Maybe you mixed up your samples.

Do you have any evidence, say from independent qPCR or microarrays that would tell you that these genes should be higher expressed. I hate the term "up regulated".

Comment

Originally posted by chadn737 View Post
            Maybe you mixed up your samples.

Do you have any evidence, say from independent qPCR or microarrays that would tell you that these genes should be higher expressed. I hate the term "up regulated".
            No, not yet. I am planning on trying to confirm some of my RNAseq data with qPCR.

Originally posted by bruce01 View Post
            Out of interest what sort of genes are these that you expect from stress response? Any chance that the stress is causing a stop in transcription giving the effect? So a pathway is being diverted by this?
            Desiccation stress... the organism dried out and becomes ametabolic, after rehydration it recommences metabolism. I thought that initial drying out would trigger a transcriptional stress response and would be detectable in the dried samples. There are a lot of assumptions there, maybe the transcripts are degraded... or transcription stops before complete drying all together.
            Last edited by tboothby; 10-22-2013, 03:01 PM.

Comment

What is your stress response? If it something like draught, then the samples might not be expressing much of anything, which could lead to the neutral vector problem, where the proportions aren't independent.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses