Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merits of the $4,999 Enhanced Starter Pack?

The Basic one is only $1,000.

Based on my understanding, if you user the wash kit, you can run the Basic pack 6 times and the Enhanced pack 12 times.

The Enhanced one has 8 weeks technical support but does it worth $3,000?

Can someone tell me why should someone buy two Basic instead of one Enhanced?

Thanks a lot in advance.

PS The Development pack doesn't make sense even more because the Wash Kit limit your runs to 12. What is the catch here? Seems like I am missing something.

You can't get two basic, unless you have two labs. The basic discount is one-off. To get a similar discount after the first flow cells, you need to purchase 48 of them over the course of a year.

ONT claims that enhanced support is this amazing thing that everyone should use. If you're prepared to experiment and read lots of community posts, the enhanced support is probably not going to be worth it. If you want to get up and running as quickly as possible, it might be worth paying for the training.

The wash kit is for doing multiple runs on a single flow cell. Most people don't use it. There are carryover issues, and it's not common to have a situation where a wash is an improvement on a single barcoded run. I use the wash kit a bit for doing very low yield pilot studies (to work out the feasibility of the MinION for particular experiments).
    Last edited by gringer; 08-20-2017, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gringer View Post
      You can't get two basic, unless you have two labs. The basic discount is one-off. To get a similar discount after the first flow cells, you need to purchase 48 of them over the course of a year.

ONT claims that enhanced support is this amazing thing that everyone should use. If you're prepared to experiment and read lots of community posts, the enhanced support is probably not going to be worth it. If you want to get up and running as quickly as possible, it might be worth paying for the training.

The wash kit is for doing multiple runs on a single flow cell. Most people don't use it. There are carryover issues, and it's not common to have a situation where a wash is an improvement on a single barcoded run. I use the wash kit a bit for doing very low yield pilot studies (to work out the feasibility of the MinION for particular experiments).
      Thank you very much for your reply.

If I don't need the support, would it better to buy the Basic starter pack and then keep replenishing the sequencing kits and flowcells?

If I understand correctly, the only risk is that the Minion box can break and it appears that you can't order it by itself. How often does that happen? If it happens, then I have to buy the Enhanced pack?

Comment

It seems like 1D^2 kit cannot be included in the starter pack no matter what. Does that mean I have to order it separately?

Comment

My recommendation would be to get the basic starter pack and muddle your way through the sequencing process yourself (with help from the community forums). You'll fail more, learn more, and learn quicker that way.

The MinION is pretty robust. I carried it in my backpack for about a year, and that may have lead to the USB connector becoming a bit flaky, but I had a replacement (at no charge) about 2 weeks after I mentioned the issue to ONT support. I think a couple of other people had the same issue (with the first generation of MinIONs), and I haven't heard any further complaints about them for a couple of years.

Despite the flakiness, it was still good enough for me to be able to do a live sequencing demonstration during my TEDx talk last year. They've survived a flight to space and a trip to the bottom of the ocean; you don't really have anything to worry about with that (and broken ones get replaced quickly by ONT anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by gringer View Post
            My recommendation would be to get the basic starter pack and muddle your way through the sequencing process yourself (with help from the community forums). You'll fail more, learn more, and learn quicker that way.

The MinION is pretty robust. I carried it in my backpack for about a year, and that may have lead to the USB connector becoming a bit flaky, but I had a replacement (at no charge) about 2 weeks after I mentioned the issue to ONT support. I think a couple of other people had the same issue (with the first generation of MinIONs), and I haven't heard any further complaints about them for a couple of years.

Despite the flakiness, it was still good enough for me to be able to do a live sequencing demonstration during my TEDx talk last year. They've survived a flight to space and a trip to the bottom of the ocean; you don't really have anything to worry about with that (and broken ones get replaced quickly by ONT anyway).
            Thank you very much for your reply. I will go with the Basic pack then.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses