Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a next generation sequencing technique and what is a NGS platform.

What is next generation sequencing: and the different techniques and platforms that are available
    Last edited by brc458; 06-15-2011, 12:34 PM.

Try starting here. Let me know if you cant get the full article and I will send you a copy.

Comment

Shurjo,
      Thank you. But what does it mean by techniques? Is that the same as platforms? Or does it refer to transcriptome, exome whole genome sequencing? The two terms are confusing me. I've written about the 458 and illumina so am assuming that i've written about "platforms" but what does it mean by techniques?

Comment

I'd guess you've guessed right on techniques; experimental paradigms would have been the fancier & perhaps less ambiguous way to state it.

Comment

Originally posted by brc458 View Post
          Shurjo,
          Thank you. But what does it mean by techniques? Is that the same as platforms? Or does it refer to transcriptome, exome whole genome sequencing? The two terms are confusing me. I've written about the 458 and illumina so am assuming that i've written about "platforms" but what does it mean by techniques?
          Each "platform" (Illumina/Solid/454/PacBio) can be used for multiple "techniques" (whole-genome/exome/transcriptome/ChipSeq/custom application). An analogous word sometimes used for "platform" is "chemistry".

Comment

Originally posted by shurjo View Post
            Try starting here. Let me know if you cant get the full article and I will send you a copy.
            I'm an undergrad who is just beginning to explore bioiformatics. I tried the link above and I couldn't access the full text. Any chance you could email me a copy? Many thanks shurjo!

Comment

Originally posted by charltt View Post
              I'm an undergrad who is just beginning to explore bioiformatics. I tried the link above and I couldn't access the full text. Any chance you could email me a copy? Many thanks shurjo!
              Sure, pm me your email ID.

Comment

I am new to this forum and as well a new fellow just trying to gain a PhD, my first task is to analyse a deep sequencing (Illumina) data from RNA of apple. how do i start? what should i do?

Comment

Depends on your project and source of the RNA. Since it is RNA I am presuming you are doing a transcriptome project. Furthermore I am going to presume that you are looking for de-novo transcripts (as versus RNA-seq counts.) I do not know the state of the Apple annotation but, presuming that it is non-existent, then doing a cDNA assembly followed by an annotation program such as Blast2Go would be a good first start.

But I could be way off-base on the goals of your project. Why don't you describe it more fully and then people may be able to give you more concrete advice. To put this in other terms, basically what you asked us is akin to saying "I am visiting Rome; what should I do and where should I stay?" The answer is "it depends" -- unless we know more about what you want to accomplish.

Comment

I can't read the article recommended by shurjo neither. Can someone / you send me a copy also ? thx
                    camei

Comment

attached is the article that was requested
                      Attached Files

Comment

thank you very much

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                        • seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                        0 responses