Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to map 454 reads/contigs to a mitochondrial genome?

This is my first post so I would like to start with a hello to all SEQanswears users

What I would like to do is to map the coverage/abundance over the whole mt genome. I would be very thankful for any tips and advices in the best way doing this (tools, scripts, programs).

l want to make a graph with the mt genome on the x-axis and coverage/abundance of reads on y-axis. Yes, the mitochondrial genome only have one starting point for transcription and I guess I could expect an homogenous distribution over the whole length. But when I have tried to assemble the mtgenome with 454 reads it is not complete and some regions get a lot of hits with reads starting at the same position (technical artefact?)
    First-strand synthesis was done from the polyA end towards the 5' end and Sequencing directed from the 5' end (directionally sequenced EST-library).

What I have is:
    1) a non-normalized EST-library from about one 454 run (5 sff files) and there are a lot of sequences with a mitochondrial origin in the library
    2) a complete mitochondria genome (circular, 16.150 nucleotides, sanger sequenced with proof reading taq).

First I make up my mind if I should use the reads or the contigs. When I blast the mt-genome against all contigs (46.375) I get 5.594 hits with a cut-off value of 1.0e-03. The bit score value range from 1.300 to 50 hence sometimes nearly the whole length of the contigs is matched and sometimes just a tiny fractions of the contig (Which I find strange). I am afraid that this might mess up graph! I may be able to make a perl-script (have very basic skills, but with enough time..) that parse out just the aligned parts into a new fasta file and then find a program that can map/plot those against the mtgenome. Would it that fasta file be possible to use Mira and make a new assembly with the mtgenome file as a scaffold. The reason to why I ask it because it produce a .ace file that can be read by Tablet (too get a stacked graph that visualise the abundance of sequences over the mtgenome.

Do you think this is a good approach or do you have any other suggestions?

All guidance is very appreciated

Mikael

If you could get your hands on newbler from 454, you could map the reads using gsMapper/runMapping and check the 454AlignmentInfo.tsv:

"It lists, for all contigs, for each base, the read depth, quality and signal intensity. Using graph software (for example R, I use Origin) you can plot the depth for one or a large number of contigs." (quoting myself from an earlier post)

Comment

I'm not aware of any mappers which support circular reference sequence directly - one hack is to extend the end of the mitochrondria with wrapped sequence from the start (use at least as many bp as your longest read -- or just map to a doubled mitochrondira). You then have to massage the mapping positions afterwards - not too hard if all you want is a coverage plot file.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses