SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
adapter contamination in reads????? meghavarshney Bioinformatics 5 09-08-2015 04:29 AM
Truseq cDNA libraries show sharp peak of cDNA BUFtoBOS Sample Prep / Library Generation 2 09-23-2014 09:00 AM
5' end adapter contamination lwhitmore Bioinformatics 3 07-08-2014 03:44 AM
bases after adapter contamination canerb Bioinformatics 7 05-06-2014 01:27 AM
How much adapter contamination is common? knostrov Bioinformatics 6 03-07-2013 11:49 AM

Old 08-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
patkrat

Default Role/Importance of adapter contamination in cDNA libraries

I have created cDNA libraries from Drosophila melanogaster mRNA using the KAPA mRNA HyperPrep kit. The size distribution on the Bioanalyzer looks good, as I was expecting a mean of ~320 bp. I attached a screenshot of an example trace for one of my samples: My question concerns the two peaks very close to the upper marker (left-hand side): Are these adapter dimers (probably not, given their small size), or left-over primers? If not, what could they be? And, would this pose a problem for sequencing, given how much of them is present compared to the cDNA fragments? Thanks for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 15.54.48.png (78.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by patkrat; 08-12-2017 at 09:03 AM.
patkrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
jdk787
josh kinman

Those peaks are most likely leftover primers, which should not be a problem since they won't cluster.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
patkrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk787 View Post
Those peaks are most likely leftover primers, which should not be a problem since they won't cluster.
Thanks, Josh. So, I could increase the cycle number during library amplification by 1 or 2, and see whether the peaks disappear.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
nucacidhunter

I wonder how you have cleaned up the library. Those peaks should not remain after clean up and they can reduce cluster density/read number by blocking flow cell oligos.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:50 AM   #5
patkrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucacidhunter View Post
I wonder how you have cleaned up the library. Those peaks should not remain after clean up and they can reduce cluster density/read number by blocking flow cell oligos.
I do a 1X bead-based cleanup with KAPA Pure Beads.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
nucacidhunter

1x bead clean up should have removed any fragment below 100 nt. I would suggest to rerun the Bioanalyzer to rule out possibility of issues with Chip run and contact KAPA tech support for their explanation.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:32 AM   #7
patkrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucacidhunter View Post
1x bead clean up should have removed any fragment below 100 nt. I would suggest to rerun the Bioanalyzer to rule out possibility of issues with Chip run and contact KAPA tech support for their explanation.
I did re-run the chip and contacted KAPA tech support. The latter suggested making sure after the library amplification to be very stringent with the 1X clean-up; i.e. remove all supernatant, and esp. all EtOH, etc. Now, I did a whole new library prep on the same samples yesterday, and made absolutely sure to follow all those steps, but still see this extra peak at ~38-40 bp. The 50 bp peak seems to be primer-dimer bleed-through that tends to happen with this protocol apparently (even visible in KAPA's tech manual..), but I don't know what these 38-40 bp peaks are. Could they be a chip artefact? I have read that the Bioanalyzer can be off by up to 5 bp at times, but even if that was the case, this wouldn't explain my situation, since the concentration of the 35 bp peak (upper marker) is 125.00 pg/ul. Or maybe I have a false understanding of how this concentration is measured..
Old 08-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
nucacidhunter

If those are artifact of Bioanalyser then they should be present in the ladder as well.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #9
pmiguel

If you are running these on a non-patterned-flowcell Illumina sequencer, ignore the primer peaks. If you are running them on a patterned-flowcell Illumina sequencer (HiSeq 3000/4000/X and NovaSeq) then do an extra ampure (or whatever small fragment clean-up you have available to you.)

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
dylanfofylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiguel View Post
If you are running these on a non-patterned-flowcell Illumina sequencer, ignore the primer peaks. If you are running them on a patterned-flowcell Illumina sequencer (HiSeq 3000/4000/X and NovaSeq) then do an extra ampure (or whatever small fragment clean-up you have available to you.)

--
Phillip
Hello Phillip,
Can you explain your reasoning behind the difference between patterned and non-patterned flowcells?

I can see how primers that contain an index sequence might lead to more index hopping on patterned flowcells, but what would be the issue with these primers that donít contain an index sequence?
I have noticed these primer peaks with Kapa kits before since they use a high concentration of PCR primers to prevent exhaustion, but I have never sequenced the libraries on a patterned flowcell. Now Iím curious to see if this is going to be an issue on the NovaSeq.

Thank You
dylanfofylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #11
luc

Hi dylanfofylan,

Have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfZp5Vgsbw0
Please note how the ends of the library molecules are double-stranded when settling onto the flowcell. Any PCR primers will compete with the oligos present in the reagents - and your PCR primers will not be blocked from extension.
luc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adapter dimer, adapters, bioanalyzer, bioanalyzer 2100, cdna library