• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annovar ?missing annotation of intronic variants for splicing

Dear all,
    Two questions:

Annovar and annotation of splicing variants
    Does anyone know how annovar annoatates a variant as splicing effect?
    Is it just 'x' bases into/before an exon, or is there more to it than that?
    If thats how it works, does anyone know how many bases into the exon/intron it treats as ?splicing site ?

Annotation of intronic variants with HGVS-style nomenclature.
    I have not been able to get Annovar to annoate a variant more than a few bases into an intron with its appropriate HGVS-term, eg c.1234-12C>T.
    Its does exonic variants fine, but I want to select variants falling with, say 20 bases before/into an exon to manually check for splicing effects (eg branch site, whcih may be further out from an intron/exon boundary than +/- 2-3 bases)
    Ensembl's variant predictor tool seems to be able to annotate into the intron, just wonderd if Annovar can also.

I am using annovar with a vcf and running the summarise_annovar.pl script

Thanks,

Chris

ANNOVAR by default uses an exon boundary +/- 2bp. However, you can change this value; just run the annotation script without any parameters to see all of the options and you'll see how to do this.

Comment

That's very helpful. Could I just clarify if changing this parameter simply redefines what annovar assigns as a splice site, or is there a way to get it to make Annovar annotate all intronic variants by default, in addition to a pre-defined distance up/ downstream of the 1st and last exon?

Comment

Pretty sure it just does all exon boundaries +/- the specified distance. That's all I know. You can simulate some variants at different locations to test this pretty easily.

Comment

I have same the problem and annovar is not annotating the introns.
          The above solution did not help!

Anyone has additional suggestions?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses