No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cummeRbund scatterplot labels

Hi Everyone,

Disclaimer: I am very new to next gen sequencing / the Tuxedo suite of tools so please excuse gross incompetence!

I am using cummeRbund to visualize the results of my Cuffdiff run and while it is very impressive, I have a few questions about the figures it generates. I have 3 replicates of 5 conditions, each condition was compared head-to-head in 4 individual cuffdiff runs (this was done by our university's bioinformatics core).

I would like to take a selection of the most significant deferentially expressed genes and present it on a scatterplot. My workflow to accomplish this has been to look through gene_exp.diff in Excel, manually filter and sort as necessary, then pick my genes of interest and go back to R to create a gene set with these id's, then plot away. It works fine up to this point.

I can create the scatterplot, but it is of limited utility unlabeled. I would like to label each of the points (I'm only using about 20 genes in each set) with what gene it represents. Is this possible?

This would make my analysis much much easier than manually looking through the gene_exp.diff tables.

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions or if I'm approaching this in the wrong way.

Thanks!

-orthodoc

Hello orthodoc,

I was wondering if you found a solution to this problem.

Thank you,
    cbaudo

Comment

I recommend the CummeRbund manuals section about "Creating Gene Set".

You really don't need Excel for anything.

Going this route you may then use ggplot2 commands on your gene set and alter your plot as you like, works like a charm.

Comment

Thanks sindrle,
        I've successfully imported by data into R and labeled the points on the scatterplot with gene IDs, but I am encountering another issue. I would like to modify the axis intervals in the same way cummeRbund does. Currently, a majority of my data points are clustered together with low FPKM values, but a few genes have large FPKM values which skew the graph to have larger axis. All of the points are then smooshed together.

Do you know of an R function I can use or of a work around for this? Also, do you know if cummeRbund log transforms the data prior to plotting?

cheers,
        cbaudo

Comment

I would read about ggplot2, its this package used by cummerbund. I can handle everything like this.

see the help() function for the plot, it should be an option called log = TRUE, or something like that.

Good luck!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses