No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Standalone Blast

Hi all,

I have managed to install standalone blast on my computer and it appears to be working correctly. The output file I get (and I have tried a number of different options) never tells me the number of hits my query has against the database I have created, unlike the online ncbi version of blast - is there any way to make standalone blast tell you this?

Also, it seems to make no difference changing the "-v" and "-b" parameters. I know from the online version that I should be getting approximately 4500 hits, but I don't seem to be able to get standalone blast to display them all - any thoughts as to how I can make it do this?

All help gratefully received!

PS this is using blastall -p blastn

Originally posted by Ash View Post
    PS this is using blastall -p blastn
    That means you are using the old "legacy" BLAST written in C, not the new BLAST+ tools written in C++, which is what the NCBI website is running now.

Also whenever you get different results to the website, check the parameters carefully. Quite often the website uses different defaults for things like gap settings.

Comment

Many thanks for your response.

The parameters are identical in the 2 searches (online and standalone) - I think perhaps the difference is that I'm using legacy blast and not the BLAST+ that the NCBI website is running.

Can anyone running the new BLAST+ (standalone) tell me if it will
      i) Give you the number of hits against your database (like the online BLAST does)?
      ii) Allow you to relatively easily create your own databases to search (I note from the literature that the formatdb command has been replaced with the makeblastdb command?
      iii) Will databases created with the older legacy BLAST be usable with the new BLAST+?

All help gratefully received!

A

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
      0 responses