Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to split fastq cointaing shared forward barcodes but different reverse ones?

Hi, I need your help because I'm completely lost with that. I received a paired-end sequencing containing many samples in a forward and reverse paired end fastq set of files as shown below.
    The reason the sequencing center bring us the sequencing in that format is because they used a different set of primers wich allow them to improve the sequencing quality.

Code:
    Librerires_S4_L001_R1_001.fastq 
    Librerires_S4_L001_R2_001.fastq
    I was expecting to find a software that could extract the samples in a way similar as shown below, not because is just a personal plan but because is commonly used in some softwares (qiime is an example).

Code:
    ##  [1] "PN1R1_L001_R1_001.fastq"   "PN1R1_L001_R2_001.fastq"  
    ##  [3] "PN3R2_L001_R1_001.fastq"   "PN3R2_L001_R2_001.fastq"
    My problem started when I figured out that some of those samples share the forward barcode, but the difference is in the reverse one, and I´ve never seen something like that. I assume is a feature of modern sequencing platforms with high capacities and with the propper sofware those could be easily splitted and assign to propper derived fastq files.

Code:
    Sample         Espacer Forward   Espacer Reverse
    1   PN1R1             A                B
    2   PN3R1             A                C
    3   PN1R2             B                C
    4   PN3R2             B                D
    As you can see, the forward A is contained in two samples, but those doesn´t have the same reverse barcode. As example of the files, show that contain a barcode that can be in the forward and the reverse, an index doing a difference and the forward and reverse primer.

Code:
      SAMPLE              BARCODE        INDEX   SPECIFIC PRIMER
      For_A  FORWARD    CCTAAACTACGG            CCTACGGGNGGCWGCAG
      For_B  FORWARD    TGCAGATCCAAC      T     CCTACGGGNGGCWGCAG
      Rev_B  REVERSE    TGCAGATCCAAC      A     GACTACHVGGGTATCTAATCC 
      Rev_C  REVERSE    CCATCACATAGG      TC    GACTACHVGGGTATCTAATCC 
      Rev_D  REVERSE    GTGGTATGGGAG      CTA   GACTACHVGGGTATCTAATCC
    What I need is to find a sofware that could pick the samples acording to their respective barcodes, even if those are shared in some side and separate between samples. I've been trying some softwares (qiime1, fastx, mothur) but nothing worked as expected. Also I wanted to check qiime2 and SeekDeep too, but at this point I don´t want to waste time checking each software without having a real idea of what they can do.

Does somebody know that kind of post processing and give me a tip of a program which does that kind of job? I would be totally grateful for any hint.

Sorry for this large post but I just wanted to give as much details as I could. Thanks for your time

Did you ask the sequencing centre how they typically demultiplex?

Comment

It kind of sounds like your sequencing provider hasn't bothered to demux on the dual index.

You might be able to use bbtools Demuxbyname.sh

Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

There's quite a few other threads on the site about it

Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

I'd be going back to the sequencing provider to get them to do the job properly with bcl2fastq.

Comment

Hi! thanks for your reply. Actually I asked the reason why they didin´t performed a demultiplex propperly and they explained me that they used a protocol to improve quality and supposedly bcl2fastq would not work as it should.

in the other hand I received a sofware called fqgrep which should solve that problem. At the moment I've just compiled it and I will do the first tests. If it works I will post the solution. If it doesn´t I will try the suggestion posted by Bukowski.

Thanks for your time!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses