Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share run between NEBNext smallRNA and 16s amplicons in v3-600 MiSeq run?

Hi all,
    for testing purposes we are thinking to put a small amount (~2-3 %) of a smallRNA library (NEBNext) in a run that will otherwise consists only of 16s amplicons (~490 bp, Nextera-type 8 bp dual indexes). Would this be likely to cause any problems? Obviously the size of the amplicons is much bigger, so the clustering efficiency might be very different, but by adding such a small amount I don't think it should be a problem. I looks to me like the NEBNext kit uses the TruSeq sequencing and index primers, so we would get both a forward and reverse read of the smallRNA, along with a "fake" index i5.
    Edit: Correction, the index read (i7) and reverse read would be using the TruSeq primers, but for the forward miRNA read it would use another primer; I can't figure out which from the information available from Illumina. I suppose it is in there in the HP10 primer mix.

If everything looks OK from the testrun, the plan is to do a v3-600 run of the smallRNA library, but with a long since expired sequencing kit, and using less than the available 600 cycles. We hope the quality will be sufficient for the few cycles we need even from a very much expired kit.
    Last edited by JBKri; 10-15-2018, 01:37 AM. Reason: corrections

As long as the short library molecules are a smaller fraction of the loaded libraries (<20%?) there will be no problem.

Comment

I agree, it will probably work fine for you.
      --
      Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
      0 responses