Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Nextera Library Preparation Involve Random Hexamer Priming?

I cannot confirm or deny whether random hexamers are used in the PCR step during the process. My guess is that there is, based on the description of the PCR primer mix as a "PCR Primer Cocktail" and the fact that when I FastQC my sequencing data, I find sequences enriched in random hexamers in the first 9 positions of many reads. The reason I am in doubt is due to the fact, in my naive understanding, I can't see the need for the random hexamers since the transposons could carry specific sequences matching a given primer set(s).

Still, it would be great if someone could confirm or deny this.

You will see a bias in the first 9 positions because the tagmentation is biased. Fragments preferentially tagment at a particular sequence, so that sequence is what you see over-represented at the start of reads. The bias isn't so dramatic, so the overall coverage is pretty even (although bias does exist).
    Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

I didn't see your further posts on the subject and the blog post. I'll read it over and see if something additional is at work here.
      Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Your blog post images match pretty well what we see... some nucleotides being up near 50% frequency at some positions. We've done tagmentation with dozens of species and see similar patterns, despite (like you) them having a wide range of GC%. If you are concerned about assembly, it might be an issue in genomes with very few of the preferred sites since those sites will tagment strongly and not well at the rest of the genome. Not sure if that makes sense! You might also see a shift in fragment sizes resulting. A colleague of mine had problems with transcriptome assembly with tagmentation. Maybe some interaction between random priming plus biased tagmentation?

Comment

Originally posted by roliwilhelm View Post
          I cannot confirm or deny whether random hexamers are used in the PCR step during the process. My guess is that there is, based on the description of the PCR primer mix as a "PCR Primer Cocktail" and the fact that when I FastQC my sequencing data, I find sequences enriched in random hexamers in the first 9 positions of many reads. The reason I am in doubt is due to the fact, in my naive understanding, I can't see the need for the random hexamers since the transposons could carry specific sequences matching a given primer set(s).

I'll deny it. No, there are no random hexamers involved in Nextera library preparation. See my reply to your post in the other thread for a link to a paper which demonstrates the composition bias in tagmentation site.

Comment

“PCR Primer Cocktail” is referring to the fact that it includes two primer mixes and it is widely used in Ilumina library prep kits. It primes flow cell lawn oligos related motif of Illumina adapters. This cocktail is not used in Nextera XT kit but is used in Nextera kit. Both kits use Nextera Index primers which have lower concentration and Cocktail provides enough primers for amplification of Nextera DNA libraries which uses 50x DNA than XT libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by roliwilhelm View Post

PCR Primer Cocktail is a primer set that primes to the P5/P7 sequences, which correspond to the ones that hybridize to the flow cell. The random "tagmentation" of DNA is achieved by the pseudo-random integration of a Tn5 transposome payload into target template DNA. This was commonly used to create mutagenesis libraries back in the day but Epicentre/Illumina did a nice trick whereby a non-continuous payload consequently causes the target DNA to become fragmented.

Epicentre/Illumina have patents that go over this in detail. In addition, their user guides and brochures are pretty open about the basic molecular biology. There are also plenty of papers from the 80s/90s that go into Tn5 biology.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at with the first 9bp analysis. Nextera/Tn5 was never claimed to be completely random, but rather sufficiently unbiased so that it doesn't matter given a large enough genomic diversity (eg. the human genome).

Comment

Thank you all very much for the thorough responses.

@kmcarr: I appreciate your help in answering my questions.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses