Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWA Reports High Mapping Quality for Poorly Mapped Pairs

I realized after I, serendipitously, ran "bwa sampe" on the same identical alignments (i.e. sai files from the same fastq) that the second mate in the pair would almost always have many mismatches. The surprising thing is that a second paired read with as many as 79 out of 101 mismatches could have a high mapping quality.

I am sure this has something to do with the Smith Waterman alignment that is attempted for the second read.

See: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14665

I have a few questions:

1) Why does bwa try and rescue reads that don't map well with bwa aln?
    2) Why is the mapping quality so high when there are so many mismatches?
    3) Is the reported mapping quality at the individual read level or at the pair level?
    4) If I use the -s option to disable Smith-Waterman for the unmapped mate will it still use the results of the BW algorithm to get the reads in the pair that map?

1) Why does bwa try and rescue reads that don't map well with bwa aln?
    Since repetitive hits (or other artifacts) can cause "bwa aln" to miss a valid alignment, so using one end as anchor for the other can improve both sensitivity and specificity.
    2) Why is the mapping quality so high when there are so many mismatches?
    I am not sure. Could you give an example with the before/after and what you expect?
    3) Is the reported mapping quality at the individual read level or at the pair level?
    Both, it is is the original mapping quality, adjusted based on how well the pair maps.
    4) If I use the -s option to disable Smith-Waterman for the unmapped mate will it still use the results of the BW algorithm to get the reads in the pair
    Yes, but try it yourself on a small # of reads to confirm.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses