No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family effects in DESeq2/limma/nlme

Hello All,

I'm looking for your opinions on proper analysis of gene expression data from RNAseq with a rather complicated design. I am running a controlled lab infection experiment, exposing two populations of hosts to parasites, and looking for changes in gene expression associated with either infection, or failure of infection (Exposed). Here's the basics:

Total n = 95

Population:
    GG:55
    RR:40

Family:
    19 total
    ~5 individuals/family (family member are either control, exposed, or infected)

Control:36
    Exposed:37
    Infected:22

Batch is the lane they were sequenced on (yes, I should have multiplexed properly, but that mistake has already been made).

I also have data on sex, size of host, and size of parasite.

In the PCA, families cluster together, so I believe that family should be considered a random effect. After looking around a bit on various threads, it's often suggested to use a fixed effect instead of a random effect, but there are usually many fewer levels that I have here (3-4 vs 19).

How would you incorporate family into the analysis? I'm open to all suggestions.

Alternatively, a general strategy for model testing in gene expression would be equally welcome.

Thanks in advance for you help

Lohman

The number of levels won't matter, just use a fixed effect with something like DESeq2 that's already doing shrinkage anyway. This is identical to every clinical RNAseq experiment published, where there's a level for every patient.

Comment

Hi Devon,

Thanks for your reply. If you fit family as a fixed effect in DESeq2 then you must drop population from the model because family predicts population. The resulting model would identify differences in infection status (treatment) but ignore differences in population. Would you attempt to interpret the family predictor at all? Or simply ignore it?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Lohman

Comment

If all members of a family are in a single population then population becomes the average of the family effect. Normally one doesn't care about family effects, since it's just something that needs to be compensated for.

Comment

Would you then run two different models, one with population and the other with family and use them for two separate purposes (including interactions in the model with population)?

Comment

If you actually have a notable family effect (not unusual) and your population is stratified/partitioned by family then you won't get a very interpretable population effect regardless of the model or method you use. If that's not the case, then just use a contrast (yes, this can get annoying very quickly, though you might be able to just include the interaction in the original model).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses