SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Pacific Biosciences

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you trust Pac Bio? math_guy Pacific Biosciences 23 11-19-2015 10:16 PM
Barcoding primers for Pac Bio Smriti Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 09-23-2015 01:44 PM
Is Nextera useful for Pac bio in future? Smriti Sample Prep / Library Generation 2 05-28-2015 10:14 PM
Pac Bio Developer Network just went up... ECO Pacific Biosciences 0 07-09-2010 07:43 AM
Pac Bio raises $100mill for sequencer commercialization ECO The Pipeline 0 07-15-2008 07:12 AM

Old 08-02-2016, 10:44 PM   #41
math_guy

Yes, I still want to buy one. Three or four, actually.

I know there is not much data out yet. And I still don't really trust the company's management. But I am somewhat trusting of their scientists. And Roche can't be that stupid...can they?

I am waiting for the conference call this Thursday to see what I can glean from the management (after ferreting out the lies).

I SO badly want this machine to be for real. Our protocol plus this machine...I just can't explain how awesome it would be.

I have been trying to secure a device. But no real luck yet. I do have a letter of intent for 50% bandwidth from a lab that is getting their Sequel somewhat soon...but I don't know how interested I am with that deal. Plus...they'll most likely look at our data to reverse-engineer our protocol. Or I am paranoid. Also possible.

Sorry it took so long to respond. SeqAnswers blocked our address from using their site many months ago. Well...they basically blocked us. They slowed us down so much that it is useless. The funny thing is that about 400 people are on this address...all of us on campus at UCSD. I guess I am not a likeable guy. All SeqAnswers has to do is send me a private message asking me to stop posting on the site. I would have obliged. I am not a jerk. But they didnt...now I just tell people in the labs that use our internet that SeqAnswers ran out of money and only one guy is running the whole site from his house. I'll tell them I made that up tomorrow (in case they read this...which is unlikely since they hate that the site is so slow for them). Also, SeqAnswers, don't slow down specific addresses. It is lame. And childish. Just cancel my account or ask me not to post ever again. As I said, I would comply.
math_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:00 AM   #42
ECO
--Site Admin--

No one blocked you here, or slowed you down. Your paranoia is quite amusing.

The simplest explanation is that, since you're at a University, that someone else was spamming the site and you got caught in an over aggressive IP mask ban.

I have been debating weighing in on this thread for a while...
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #43
ECO
--Site Admin--

I don't have a ton of time to write all the things I want to. However, I know a couple things.

1. PacBio folk are the smartest in the industry, period.

2. They learned their lesson with bumps in the road with the RS rollout. Hunkapillar is not going to allow a problematic launch.

3. Their instruments are on the cutting edge for components and consumables. A hiseq is a microscope and a couple of pumps. The Sequal is so much more complex it's ridiculous. There are BOUND to be bumps in the road.

...so...don't read it the wrong way that they are not jumping to ship you three of them for cash. They are likely rolling them out to previously experienced friendly customers and ensuring the system and reagents are bulletproof.

If you don't already have an RS and significant PacBio experience, they are also probably wary of your sample prep learning curve. Without amplification, there are a ton of additional layers to worry about; converting people who can "do NGS" on illumina is not straightforward as all their problems with sample integrity and contamination are solved by PCR. With PacBio, everything matters in terms of DNA quality. (this is the part that Oxford will find out the more customers they have).

Anyway...awesome thread...

disclosure(s): i developed most of pacbio's sample prep. i worked there for 4 years. I have tons of friends there. I own no stock in them. I use their technology regularly.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:30 AM   #44
GenoMax

@ECO: Do you have a theory as to why we have not seen any sequel data publicly as yet?
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #45
math_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECO View Post
I don't have a ton of time to write all the things I want to. However, I know a couple things.

1. PacBio folk are the smartest in the industry, period.

2. They learned their lesson with bumps in the road with the RS rollout. Hunkapillar is not going to allow a problematic launch.

3. Their instruments are on the cutting edge for components and consumables. A hiseq is a microscope and a couple of pumps. The Sequal is so much more complex it's ridiculous. There are BOUND to be bumps in the road.

...so...don't read it the wrong way that they are not jumping to ship you three of them for cash. They are likely rolling them out to previously experienced friendly customers and ensuring the system and reagents are bulletproof.

If you don't already have an RS and significant PacBio experience, they are also probably wary of your sample prep learning curve. Without amplification, there are a ton of additional layers to worry about; converting people who can "do NGS" on illumina is not straightforward as all their problems with sample integrity and contamination are solved by PCR. With PacBio, everything matters in terms of DNA quality. (this is the part that Oxford will find out the more customers they have).

Anyway...awesome thread...

disclosure(s): i developed most of pacbio's sample prep. i worked there for 4 years. I have tons of friends there. I own no stock in them. I use their technology regularly.
1) Smarter than Oxford, for sure? Like....put my money in Pacific Bio vs Oxford now? I can invest in both. One is public and the other is private. Both seem poised to possibly return over 200% in the next 18 months. Pacific Bio will probably get bought out. Or they'll file bankruptcy and lose at least 80% of their market value. Oxford will probably get bought out if they can get their device working the way it should.

2) I don't trust them. But I still hope I am wrong. Especially that guy...cuz I listen to him on conference calls and I talk to their managment. And I catch them all in lies. But occasionally I lie and I still deliver.

3) Then...would you buy the stock now before the conference call tomorrow?

I feel that I am not reading it the wrong way. I am reading it based on how I understand companies that are about to be bankrupt would act if they had something but didn't want everyone to know it. Or...if they were scared that they may not actually have it...but didn't want anyone to know. The way I am reading it is based on how I was treated by the company and the lies they told me. You would read it a different way. That's fine. Maybe you're right and I am wrong. I hope so. But still...they lied to me. I don't trust companies where the entire team tells me lies. From the bottom to the top. But still...I am hopeful...cuz I REALLY need this machine.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:22 AM   #46
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

Quote:
Originally Posted by math_guy View Post
Yes, I still want to buy one. Three or four, actually.

I wonder if you have any knowledge of its output and you know that it actually can do what you are expecting. I could not find any specification for the machine. PacBio web site claims its output is around 370k (10x of RSII) with no mention of quality or read length (important features for lots of potential users) and no data to back up the claim.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:30 AM   #47
math_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucacidhunter View Post
I wonder if you have any knowledge of its output and you know that it actually can do what you are expecting. I could not find any specification for the machine. PacBio web site claims its output is around 370k (10x of RSII) with no mention of quality or read length (important features for lots of potential users) and no data to back up the claim.
I don't really have any information I can believe on this machine. I just have hope. I am sort of just assuming it is better than the previous machine. Cuz...well...why would they make it worse? But...maybe it is worse. If so, then I will have to wait til someone comes out with a device that can handle long reads. I'll just focus on refining our protocol for smaller reads in the meantime. And I'll work on a better CUDA implementation for these smaller reads.

Or maybe I'll pay more attention to Oxford. I don't have a machine. I have actually never seen one or even really spoken with a lab that is testing it.

I am hoping that the first chip upgrade comes out soon after the machine is in real production. That seems to be what they are saying. But you never know. I thought we would meet our own internal timelines but we were way off. Timelines seem to be based off of hope quite often (especially our's).
Old 08-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #48
spore

They just announced a new software and chemistry update along with the high volume chip. Customers should be switching over to the new chemistry and chip over the next few weeks. I assume we will see a public data set from pacbio shortly. My guess is they held off on releasing anything on beta chips and chemistry because it doesn't represent what the final product can do.
spore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:34 AM   #49
gringer
David Eccles (gringer)

ONT users have their own community forum. The sequencing is a very different beast, we're still trying to work out how best to use it, and it's unlikely that people outside the community can provide much help at this stage. It doesn't help that ONT are advancing their technology quicker than papers can be published -- everything is obsolete by the time it gets through peer review.
gringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:01 AM   #50
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringer View Post
ONT users have their own community forum. The sequencing is a very different beast, we're still trying to work out how best to use it, and it's unlikely that people outside the community can provide much help at this stage. It doesn't help that ONT are advancing their technology quicker than papers can be published -- everything is obsolete by the time it gets through peer review.
I am surprised that one of their condition for community? membership is purchase of a starter pack. One does not need to own a sequencing machine or buy something to be a member of SEQanswers community and it is not run by a commercial sequencing platform supplier either.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #51
gringer
David Eccles (gringer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucacidhunter View Post
I am surprised that one of their condition for community?
That doesn't make sense. I can't work out what you're trying to point out.

Basically, ONT want to be able to say things associated with technological development that shouldn't be released to the general public. This helps them to develop the technology to better accommodate the needs of users, but they've been burnt a few too many times by people demanding perfection from what is still an emerging technology. The community that they have set up allows them to do this, and also allows other users to ask questions in a similar environment.
gringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:35 AM   #52
nathandev

Itís up nearly 30% in 6 days, sounds like people are still buying in.
nathandev is offline   Reply With Quote