Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bradfish View Post
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry about this post. And yes, you certainly are a big dope.
    Posting garbage once is possibly funny, posting it more than once is spam.
    Last edited by adaptivegenome; 07-18-2012, 12:11 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Let's keep it relatively serious and professional, Dope. Thanks.

Comment

I enquired to Roche about just how the concentration of the primer in the emPCR kits had been changed and I have just had a response.

"The concentration of the primer in the kit was actually deceased (sic) by about 4 fold."

Comment

so....

I am having one heck of a time with old emPCR kits. I am having an enrichment nightmare where I simply cannot get any freaking enriched beads out of this (extremely low %, regardless of CPB). I hope these new kits can do better for me but you guys aren't exactly giving me confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by bradfish View Post
            Right now I don't have time to post a lot of data, but I can tell you we are doing 1 cpb with new and old lots. Sequencing 400 bp amplicon, with 1/4 the amount of reccomended amp primer. We went from getting 400-600k enrichement consistenly for the last year to over 1 million on the last few runs with nothing changing except the lots.
            We are doing the same except using Lib-L kits on a FLX in LV format. Key is reducing that primer amount. Also I think if you are sequencing all the same amplicon, you have higher signal inteference and this gets filtered out in post processing as a short or failed read. The passing filter rate drops significantly the less unique the sequencing pool is.

As for the increasing enrichments with the newer kits, we haven't really noticed this, however our enrichments are higher on plates that sit for a while after the final emulsion shake. We find that these "false" higher enrichments tend to sequence poorly. Same CPB, Same reagents, just the 1st cup sitting out longer while the second is being aliquoted = poorer sequence. As a result, we have gone to processing one LV cup at a time, putting them on the thermalcycler ASAP once aliquoted. Processing the cups this way is much more consistent, albeit more time consuming.

Comment

I've been loading one emPCR at a time as I figured letting it sit would be an issue. I usually pause when you add the amplicon to the oil, and just move forward with one from there all the way through the procedure, then add amplicon to the next oil and start from there again. Seems to work great.

Interesting thoughts on diversity of pool correlating with signal interference. What I am are pools of many different samples each containing at least a few different organisms, many containing much more. I am going to look into this correlation when I get time.

Comment

If it is not the enrichment beads causing the problem and not the emPCR reagents, could the problem of short reads be caused by the MID adaptors, that form dimers during the library preparation.

Can it be that these dimers are not visible in the bioanalyser because they are sticking to the larger DNA fragments?

Our MID adaptor kit is over the expire date, could this explain the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by boerm View Post
                  If it is not the enrichment beads causing the problem and not the emPCR reagents, could the problem of short reads be caused by the MID adaptors, that form dimers during the library preparation.

Can it be that these dimers are not visible in the bioanalyser because they are sticking to the larger DNA fragments?

Our MID adaptor kit is over the expire date, could this explain the problem?
                  This might be a possibility, but the equilibrium favors dimer formation. If you want to test for this simply do an amplification on the final library and run it on a BA chip again. If those fragments are there you should pick them up.

YMMV on expired reagents. It just depends how precious your samples are. Other labs with unlimited budgets throw them out.

Comment

Originally posted by DNA_Dan View Post
                    This might be a possibility, but the equilibrium favors dimer formation. If you want to test for this simply do an amplification on the final library and run it on a BA chip again. If those fragments are there you should pick them up.

YMMV on expired reagents. It just depends how precious your samples are. Other labs with unlimited budgets throw them out.

Dear DNA_DAN,

Thanks for your suggestions, do you have the sequence of the Lib-L primers to amplify this library?

Thanks,

Martin.

Comment

See Application Brief # 001-2009 Entitled Unidirectional Sequencing of Amplicon Libraries Using the GS FLX TItanium emPCR Kits. (Lib-L) On the second page, Primer A and Primer B are for fusion primers. Just order these sequences up to (not including) the key pass sequence.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                      • seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                      0 responses