Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Affy probe sets/gene symbols to genomic coordinates?

I have a list of Affy Probe sets and their corresponding gene symbol, does anyone know how I can convert them to the genomic coordinates of the gene so I can intersect them with my ChIP-seq peaks?
    --------------
    Ethan

Originally posted by ETHANol View Post
    I have a list of Affy Probe sets and their corresponding gene symbol, does anyone know how I can convert them to the genomic coordinates of the gene so I can intersect them with my ChIP-seq peaks?
    Affymetrix usually provides detailed probe set information including the genomic position of the probe set. If you visit the affy website, search for your array and access the corresponding technical documentation you will get a download link for annotation files in rather convenient formats.

best regards
    T.

Comment

Okay, I have the annotation file form Affymetrix (csv file) and it has the probe sets and the some genomic coordinates. My problems are two:

1) How can I match the probe sets on the data from the microarray experiment with the genomic coordinates/probe sets on the other file?

2) The genomic coordinates are not for the whole gene. How do I get the whole gene (I eventually want promoters). I think I should be able to do this with Galaxy.
      --------------
      Ethan

Comment

sorry I did not understand that you were looking for coordinates of genes.

for sure there are many possibilities and galaxy, which i never used, might be an option.

in case you are a bit familiar with R/bioconductor, there is a package called 'biomaRt' which is a rather easy tool to retrieve genomic coordinates of whatever and you can easily use affy probe identifiers to query.

promoter coordinates is probably more tricky because of the lack of a robust annotation but you could start with a simple approach defining the region 1-2kb upstream of the TSS as promoter (depends very much on the organism) and map your chipseq reads to those.

Comment

R, I was afraid it would come to that. I'm trying to get going with R, but it's difficult and will take some time. BiomaRt looks like the tool I need.

Can someone help me with this. In the user guide they have instructions for getting genomic coordinates of the genes for Affy probes. I have a question about the following:

In this line specific probes are assigned to 'affyids':
          affyids = c("202763_at", "209310_s_at", "207500_at")

and 'affyids' is the value used to query the data base.

Okay, that's great but I want to use a list of about 1000 Affy probes that I have as a text file ('mytextfile.txt') in the same directory that I a started R in.

Is there a command line (or two..) that I can use to assign my list of Affy probes to 'affyids'.

Sorry if my R-speak no so good.... but I'm a molecular biologist and new to the computer universe.

Thanks a billion to anyone that can help.
          --------------
          Ethan

Comment

this is a guess (as i don't know exactly how your file is structured)

affyids <- read.delim("mytextfile.txt", header=F,stringsAsFactors=F)[,1]

Comment

If you don't want to deal with R/Bioconductor, I guess you could use the web interface of Ensembl/Biomart (http://www.biomart.org/). It's quite intuitive to use.

Nevertheless, it would be probably useful to get to grips with R. See if this bit of code helps:

Code:
              ## Get the genome coordinates of the genes tagged by a set of 
              ## Affymetrix probes IDs

## Assuming your file of affy probes IDs is a single column of 
              ## probes identifiers, one probe per line, no header. 
              ## E.g. something like this:

# Ssc.25128.1.S1_at
              # Ssc.6614.1.S1_at
              # Ssc.24115.1.A1_at
              # Ssc.15874.1.S1_at
              # Ssc.30896.2.S1_at

library(biomaRt)

affyids<- read.table(file= 'mytextfile.txt', header=F)
              affyids<- as.vector(affyids[,1])

mart<- useDataset(dataset= "sscrofa_gene_ensembl", ## Change dataset here
                                useMart("ensembl"))

probe2gene<- getBM(
                           attributes= c('affy_porcine', 
                                         'ensembl_gene_id', 
                                         'chromosome_name', 
                                         'strand', 
                                         'start_position', 
                                         'end_position'),
                           filters= 'affy_porcine', ## Change as appropriate
                           value= affyids,
                           mart= mart)
              Dario

Comment

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it!!!!!

I was so close. I tried read.table but never found read.delim.
                --------------
                Ethan

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses