No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blast of the contigs

Hello,
    I've sequenced a genome and received contigs. I'm trying to blast the contigs using megablast installed locally on our computer. For many of the contigs I receive the error message: could not calculate ungapped Karlin0Altshul parameters due to an invalid query sequence or its translation. Please verify the query sequence and/ or filtering options" .
    Anybody knows what this means? Thank you !!!

Hi,
    How big are your contigs? It would help if you could let us know what parameters/commands you are using to run the blast.
    I've sometimes had that error message on 454 reads that consist only of sequence like (AC)n etc.
    Cheers,
    Rachel

Comment

blast

Than you for your reply, I'm using the command:
      megablast -b -1 -m 9 -i mapping/454AllContigs.fna -d /root/genome_annotation/blast/ncbi_nt/nt>blastout.txt

There are different contigs some are short and others are long

Comment

That command line parameter of '-b -1' looks wrong. I will assume that you meant to and are actually using '-b 1' In which case I'll agree with rglover that it is either the composition and/or length of your input sequences that is causing problems. I suspect that we all run into that error message when we work with off-the-sequencer sequences.

It would be helpful if you could post

(a) approximately how many of your sequences are having the problem (i.e., 1%, 10%, 50%?)

(b) the actual nucleotides in one or two of your problem sequences

Comment

blast

It happens for about 10% of the reads. I guess it is indeed because the quality of the read.
          another question about blast: when I run it with this command:megablast, I receive in the end a big html file, part of wfich just says "no hits" for some of the contigs. Is there any way to present it in a more readable format? begining with the best hits (aas in the web) and to show the aligment (the format that I recive when I run blast at the web),
          Thanks alot!

Comment

Your question "as in the web" is vague. I presume you are talking about NCBI blast but even there you can receive the results back in a variety of different formats. Their default is closer to the '-m 0' format. If you have looked at the other megablast format besides the one you gave (e.g., -m 9) and none of them a good for you then please describe exactly what you want and maybe we can help out.

Personally when looking at the thousands of sequences I usually get with a 2nd gen sequencing project, the '-m 8' (tabular) or '-m 7' options are the ones I use. Formats besides those two become hard to parse and summarize. But your requirements are probably much different than mine.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses