SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wrong exon number information from tophat-fusion angerusso RNA Sequencing 0 02-07-2014 10:46 AM
Does tophat use the library-type information for mapping, or just for the XS flag? carmeyeii Bioinformatics 1 05-16-2013 11:18 AM
How to add in the right read group information when running Tophat? Clare S RNA Sequencing 0 04-17-2013 09:13 PM
tophat + cufflinks: strand information Zimbobo Bioinformatics 29 04-20-2012 12:35 AM
tophat islands information syslm01 Bioinformatics 0 08-11-2010 03:48 AM

Old 05-02-2016, 01:34 AM   #1
edeka

Default tophat gene information

Hi all!
I used tophat2 with the option -G in order to give the gtf file but the output reported the chromosome coordinate. Why? What did I get wrong? How can I obtain the gene information?
Thank you in advance
edeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:44 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

tophat2 will always produce alignments in genomic coordinates. If you want alignments in transcriptome coordinates, then use bowtie2 or something similar to align against the transcriptome.

You might also use salmon, sailfish, or Kallisto, which will produce expression metrics directly (I assume that's what you need) and be vastly faster.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:27 AM   #3
edeka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpryan View Post
tophat2 will always produce alignments in genomic coordinates. If you want alignments in transcriptome coordinates, then use bowtie2 or something similar to align against the transcriptome.

You might also use salmon, sailfish, or Kallisto, which will produce expression metrics directly (I assume that's what you need) and be vastly faster.
Thank you for your answer. So there isn't a tool that allow me to convert the output of TopHat directly in order to have the same SAM file but with informations about the gene?
Old 05-02-2016, 03:50 AM   #4
dpryan
Devon Ryan

You could do that, for example with featureCounts or htseq-count (or bedtools intersect or ...). The question is only what you want to do with the results.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:57 AM   #5
edeka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpryan View Post
You could do that, for example with featureCounts or htseq-count (or bedtools intersect or ...). The question is only what you want to do with the results.
Thank you (again) for your answer. I am using Ribosome profiling data and I need to have the SAM file with the name gene, position on the gene and the sequence.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:00 AM   #6
dpryan
Devon Ryan

There are already tools for Ribosomal profiling, just use them. Have a look at ribogalaxy (http://ribogalaxy.ucc.ie/) for an example of tools.

Tags
gene annotation, gtf file, tophat 2