SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > The Pipeline

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BFAST scoring matrix gene coder Bioinformatics 2 02-10-2012 02:37 PM
Variant Confidence Scoring System added to NextGENe software SoftGenetics Vendor Forum 0 04-15-2010 08:54 AM
New software: PeakSeq enables systematic scoring of ChIP-seq expts ECO Epigenetics 1 12-28-2009 12:55 AM
PubMed: Model-Based Quality Assessment and Base-Calling for Second-Generation Sequenc Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 11-17-2009 03:10 AM
PeakSeq enables systematic scoring of ChIP-seq experiments relative to controls. merilius Literature Watch 0 01-16-2009 04:21 AM

Old 02-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
SillyPoint

Default ONT error model and quality scoring

Regarding ONT's new technology, I think I heard the following over the last few days (please correct if I've mis-heard):
  • Error rate is 4% today, targeting 1% by release.
  • Predominant error is a deletion.
  • Output (e.g., from MinION) is in fastq format.
4% of what? Given an error model including deletions, one possible interpretation is that there is a 4% chance that a given base will be missed. ONT, is that what you mean?

More to the point: What observable aspects of the process are used in computing quality scores? We've been shown (sort of) how current traces can be converted into basecalls. What residue of that information is used in generating confidence estimates? If we knew that, we could better understand what use we can make of the scores.

In any case, a fastq format doesn't seem appropriate. This isn't the Illumina error model, where you want to quantify by Q score the likelihood that a basecall at a given position is wrong. If I see a score of Q14 at some position in an ONT fastq file, does that mean there's a 4% chance that (1) the base was called wrong, (2) a base was missed following, or (3) prior to this position? How do I encode the case of miscall-plus-two-deletions at a given position?

--TS
SillyPoint is offline   Reply With Quote