No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "rapid" vs "general" MID adapters

Hello Everyone,

I'm interested in producing 4 "rapid" libraries from human genomic DNA and annealing separate MID adapters to each. Instead of ordering the Rapid Library MID Adapter Kit from Roche (includes 12 different MID adapters) I would like to order 4 from IDT. I called IDT technical support and they told me each order contains two oligos to make one adapter. From looking at the Roche technical bulletin (004-2009, "general" library), my understanding is that each library requires a separate MID Adapter A and a common MID Adapter B (4 oligos in total). The technical representative from IDT told me that the same "rapid" MID adapter could be ligated to the end of each genomic DNA fragment.

In the long run I would like to use a sequence capture array to enrich each library followed by running each library together.

1) Is the technical representative from IDT mistaken?
    2)Does anybody know the difference (sequence) between the "general" and "rapid" MID adapters.
    3)Can I use the long oligo from each adapter for LM-PCR to increase the library yield pre- and post- sequence capture?

Thanks for your help!
    Double A

1) Is the technical representative from IDT mistaken?
    No. The new Rapid library preparation method apparently works like the Illumina library prep method. A single partially duplexed ("Y") adapter is used which is ligated to both ends of an end-polished, dsDNA fragment. Asymmetric ends are produced via the PCR primers used to amplify the library. The Rapid Library MID adapters will introduce the MID tag at both ends of the insert.
    2)Does anybody know the difference (sequence) between the "general" and "rapid" MID adapters.
    If anybody does, they're not saying. Unlike with the previous library preparation protocol Roche is not publishing the Rapid prep oligo sequences. Perhaps they have shared the sequences with IDT to allow them to synthesize custom adapters.
    3)Can I use the long oligo from each adapter for LM-PCR to increase the library yield pre- and post- sequence capture?
    Sorry, no idea on this one.

Comment

IDT adaptors

Dear kmcarr,
      is IDT offering the old titanium adaptors (not Y shaped) with a T overhang in order to be compatible with the NimbleGen capture?
      I want to switch to the RL prep protocol and that is the idea of my workaround.
      Thanks,
      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Haltern View Post
        Dear kmcarr,
        is IDT offering the old titanium adaptors (not Y shaped) with a T overhang in order to be compatible with the NimbleGen capture?
        I want to switch to the RL prep protocol and that is the idea of my workaround.
        Thanks,
        Tom
        I can't speak for IDT; you should consult with them directly.

Comment

Since there seem to be more people sharing my pain, let me share what we tried, maybe it leads to a solution.

We, too, are into SeqCap arrays. And since manpower is hard to come by, we would greatly love to adapt to automated library prep. What we got was the Beckman SPRI-TE since it can handle both platforms we have - fortunately for most of the community, Beckman adapted to the rapid protocol pretty fast, unfortunately for us SeqCap + Rapid is not recommended at this time.

So for once, I thought I was smart, grabbed the Roche Titanium MID TCBs, added a T overhang , moved the PTO modifications to the last four bases and gave it a try. What I got was a Bioanalyzer trace with a real sweet size distribution.
          The sun was shining, life was great.

Then I tried to amplify as I did with my handmade-libraries using the LM-PCR primers from the Titanium optimized SeqCap protocol. They should produce a PCR product from first base of adaptor A till last base of adaptor B. They do very robust on hand made libraries - but not on my robotic ones with the modified adaptors.

My first guess was an aberrant oligo charge or a failed annealing of the adaptors, but I ruled out both with a new annealing and new adaptors from a diffrent oligo manufacturer.

So now I still have something that looks like a nice library on the Bioanalyzer trace, but which refuses to amplify.

While I thought that 'just adding the overhang cant be too hard' I am running out of ideas lately...Anyone solved this riddle in their lab yet?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses